Cheap but good (!!) amp

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Rodrigo de Sá, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Rodrigo de Sá

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

I haven't visited here for a very long time, but oldtimers propably remember me.

As perhaps you know, I am totally into classical music. I have a main system (Lavardin IT+Meridian something+Proac Futures and some sort of cabling that was pushed to me by the seller), and I very much like the very airy, unforced, extremely transparent and never harsh sound.

Problem is, I move about a lot, and I actually have three systems - of course not expensive. The second one was composed of the cheap Nad player (521i), a very old Yahama ax-570 and Rogers Ls2 Speakers. I actually liked the sound even if it was nowhere near the Lavardin.

The Yamaha is a 'halved' design, that is, there is a left part and a right part to the inside. The left part ceased to function, and I am not sure it can be fixed.

So, what do you all think: acoustic music, vocal and instrumental but also a lot of organ (never mind the very low frequencies). The most important thing is atmosphere and transparency. Tone controls are VERY important, because I have a lot of very old recordings that do need an occasional boost.

Suggestions, please?

Rodrigo de Sá, Mar 4, 2006
  2. Rodrigo de Sá

lordsummit moderate mod

Quad 33/303, Creek 4040 or A+R 60
    All lovely sounding with tone controls, and all repairable!

lordsummit, Mar 4, 2006
  3. Rodrigo de Sá

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

RDS

Good to see you on the site again!

The classical section hasn't been the same without you.

We still get people asking about organ music, and the usual response is 'RDS would have known that one' !!

Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, Mar 4, 2006
  4. Rodrigo de Sá

technobear Ursine Audiophile

RdS? :RdS: :rds2:

technobear, Mar 4, 2006
  5. Rodrigo de Sá

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

6. Rodrigo de Sá

joel Shaman of Signals

How about a s/h Sugden A21 of some sort, or would that be too expensive?

Good to se you, RdS. Much missed!

joel, Mar 5, 2006
  7. Rodrigo de Sá

Thank you for the welcome - it is good to see one is not forgotten.

Regarding the amp thing, the old Yamaha is working on and off. The Sudgen: I thought of it. I do not know its price, but the problem is that it is toohot :rolleyes: I hate temperatures above 20º and the system is kept in a small study where lamps and computers alone create heat!

The Quad is a very tempting possibility. I know it quite well and love it. However, I am rather afraid to buy from e-bay or something like it, and I do not know where I could find a good condition used one. The Rotel I know nothing about. The AR is what? :newbie:

What is more: I am broke! We are trying to buy a farm and to build a house. And of course we cannot afford it; but we will try!

Let's hope I can contribute a little more.

Thank you indeed to all suggestions.

Good to be back here :)

Rodrigo de Sá, Mar 5, 2006
  8. Rodrigo de Sá

lordsummit moderate mod

9. Rodrigo de Sá

badchamp Thermionic Member

Good selection Richard, my goodness Cambridge A & R 60, a blast from the past! That, a NAD 3020 (IIRC) and the first Creek amp: my first hifi dilemma :D . As it happens, the Creek won and would I think be a good choice if the Quad is out of the running.

Jeff

badchamp, Mar 5, 2006
  10. Rodrigo de Sá

Donut

RdS, I recently picked up a secondhand Sony QS amp for £130. I've been really impressed and it has replaced an MF X-A200r. Very much more dynamic and a really joy with classical stuff. It's a TA-FB940R (link here http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProd...n_GB&pageType=Overview&category=HFC+Amplifier) is still available for about £250 new I think. Worth a listen - not sure whether it'll be to your taste but I know listen to classical - I never bothered with the MF - sounded boring;). I know many are anti-cheap-jap stuff but I was pleasantly surprised.
    Donut

Donut, Mar 6, 2006
  11. Rodrigo de Sá

So, Sony, Quad, Rotel, Creek, AR... I bet they all sound as different as an albino rat and a black rhynoceros...

What about the cheap Nad??:nuno:

Rodrigo de Sá, Mar 7, 2006
  12. Rodrigo de Sá

lordsummit moderate mod

I've ran them all and they all excel at classical music. The A+R is a staggeringly modern sounding amp, I slotted one into my system when my amp was being repaired and I was staggered at how good it is. That would be the one I'd go for, closely followed by the Quad and then the Creek. They're all nice clean sounding amps with a great sound for classical. They all need phono to din plugs though.
    The Nad 3020 is also a lovely sounding amp, a bit slow perhaps but for classical it's great.
    You should try: www.emporiumhifi.com
    Usually lots of choice on there, but it seems to be down at the moment....

lordsummit, Mar 7, 2006
  13. Rodrigo de Sá

ditton happy old soul

well, if you've been away, then you will have missed the wonder that is the sonic-T amp and Soundpax speaker combo, which can be had for less than £70, all in - just add source.

ditton, Mar 7, 2006
Ask a Question