cheap but good T/T for a friend

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dominicT, Jan 2, 2005.

1. dominicT

dominicT former member

Hi guys

A my favourite girlfriend wants to buy a cheap but good secondhand T/T. I was thinking about a Regar 2, Michell Focus, Dual CS505 or Thorens 166 or something similar. Yes I know that they all sound different but as it will go through a midi system the overall quality is important we are not talking a fanatical critical listener here but a music lover who wants to occasionally listen to records. Reliability/servicability is important. Budget is £100. She will also need a phono pre-amp. The XLPs is too expensive do you guys know of anything that can be had for £30 max secondhand?

Anyone here have a T/T that they are selling?

Thanks, really appreciate it.

Dominic

dominicT, Jan 2, 2005
  2. dominicT

Gromit Buffet-blower

Have a look here :)

Friend of mine has a Debut running in an Audiolab/ProAc system and it sounds pretty damn sweet. Excellent vfm - slot in a better cartridge and job's a good'un. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2005
    Gromit, Jan 2, 2005
  3. dominicT

A.N.

can definately recommend the debut. i've just bought one for my intro to vinyl, and, i am blown away by the sound of this thing, and all for 130 quid!!!!!

i really didnt think a T/T at this price sounded as good as this. read the hype that the glossies are saying and believe it. it IS that good. :D

go for it, you will not be disappointed! :cool:

oh, and imo, the best colour to get is the piano black, looks much more expensive than it is! :MILD:

A.N., Jan 3, 2005
  4. dominicT

dominicT former member

Hi is the Debut based on a Planar 2? if so is it better or worse? How does it compare to the likes of the Thorens TD166. The 166 is a good looking deck and this is a slight consideration, her being female and all that.

Also I see that Project make a £40 phono pre amp, presumably this is a reasonable unit (for her). Also any idea how it compares to the MF xpls? The reason for asking is that I have a buyer for my XLPs and might be tempted to sell and buy a Project phono pre for me as it takes up far less space. (I will be using it with a Fosus S/Linn Basic/Rega cartridge - its purple and costs £95 but I do not know its name) I only use the deck in my recording studio for sampling records.

Cheers. Dominic

dominicT, Jan 3, 2005
  5. dominicT

A.N.

i use a project phono se (switchable mm/mc) for mine. would have used the naim boards, but they are mc only (the project is mm). as for the project being based on the rega, i think the nad is.

also, for a good budget deck, try the new goldring gr1.2. again about 130 quid. uses a rega rb250 type arm. a lot of T/T for the money too.

my advice is go and listen to a couple.

the project certainly doesn't disgrace itself in my naim/meridian set up.

A.N., Jan 3, 2005
  6. dominicT

Donut

The Project Debut and Rega Planner 2 are similar prices but not the same thing at all.
    I used to have a debutr and Project phone stage - would recommend them. I understand that the Debut III is very good indeed as it has the better Project 9 arm.
    Best option may be to look out for a Debut II with built in phono stage.
    Good Luck
    Donut

Donut, Jan 4, 2005
  7. dominicT

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Richer sounds were selling the Project Debut II for £79.95 which is a bargain, you need a voucher in the What HIFI magazine though. The Project will sound better than most things Duel could offer.

I bought mine brand new in 2000 and have had no problems with it all. I did have to renew the stylus and it will need replacing again soon but that just goes to show how much I love and use this cheeky turntable.

I use an old 1989 Rotel preamp as the phone stage as it sounds better than the Marantz built in one.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2005
    amazingtrade, Jan 4, 2005
Ask a Question