Cheap(er) international calling from mobiles?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by michaelab, Mar 21, 2005.

1. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

I thought it was about time there was another phone thread on here as we haven't had many lately :D .

Seriously though, I've now got fed up with the extortionate rates I get charged by Vodafone (Portugal) when I'm roaming in the UK for both receiving and making calls so I'm planning to get a 2nd cheap mobile with a Vodafone (UK) pay as you go card which I'll use for making UK calls when I'm in the UK.

However, for various reasons I'm going to be needing to make a lot more calls back to Portugal from the UK than I used to so can anyone recommend one of those services where you have an account and call an 0800 number and then make the call via them instead of getting shafted by the mobile network? Secondly, are calls to 0800 numbers free from pay-as-you-go mobiles?

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 21, 2005
  2. michaelab

batfink

In answer to your second question, no. When you try dialing an 0800 number, you get a message telling you it isn't free and you have to re-dial dropping the leading 0.

I've never used any of those services to recommend any, but in general service terms, I've never had any problems with Onetel and I'm sure they do a service like that.

batfink, Mar 21, 2005
  3. michaelab

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

I have an account with OneTel that I use for my domestic calls. I telephone an access number (0800) from my Orange mobile (free) and then make my overseas calls at OneTel rates. It costs about 3p/minute to phone the States (from memory).

Every few months, I get the message on Orange when I dial the access number that it will be charged. In that case I phone another 0800 number, given to me by OneTel, and they tell me what the latest Orange access number is.

What a funny game they're playing, Orange and OneTel. :rolleyes:

7_V, Mar 21, 2005
  4. michaelab

auric FOSS

This won't help with the from a mobile problem but would this Skype VOIP in other situations? I only mention it because I am thinking about this sort of thing for both home and office use.

auric, Mar 21, 2005
  5. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

OneTel look like they do great rates to the US and other popular destinations but calls to Portugal aren't that great: 13p/min for landlines and 33p/min for mobiles...and it'll be mobiles I'll be mostly calling. Still, that's better than the €0.85/min (about 58p) that Vodafone Portugal would charge me roaming.

It appears that the mobile operators are not so chuffed about these 0800 international access numbers as it's taking away a lot of their business but surely for them to make certain 0800 numbers chargeable is illegal?

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 21, 2005
  6. michaelab

analoguekid Planet Rush

Mike I believe all 0800 numbers are chargeable from mobiles in the UK, they get round this by annoucing it before you connect. Would it not be more cost effective to get a landline installed in your flat and use the Onetel type stuff. If you hunt around you may get cheaper ones to portugal.

analoguekid, Mar 21, 2005
  7. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

There is a landline in my flat already, but that means I can only make calls when I'm there which is a bit restrictive. I've found a couple of other similar OneTel type services that have slightly cheaper rates to Portugal. I should be able to sort something that's cheaper than making roaming calls from my Portuguese mobile.

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 21, 2005
  8. michaelab

Chea Johndle Bizarre Serpent Foomaster

Hi Michael,

Have a look at http://www.1st-phonecards.co.uk

I buy a Savers card so that my wife can phone Thailand and it's about 6p per min.. and she phones from her moby..

Regards

JC

Chea Johndle, Mar 21, 2005
  9. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Thanks JC - that looks to be the cheapest method so far and I don't mind having to pay it all up front.

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 21, 2005
  10. michaelab

MO! MOnkey`ead!

MO!, Mar 21, 2005
Ask a Question