Cheap inkjets - your help required!!!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by domfjbrown, Aug 13, 2003.

1. domfjbrown

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

My Epson Stylus wastes-all-the-ink-every-time-it-turns-on printer appears to be dying - either the ink tanks have dried up or the head's broken. For something that's printed about 100 sheets of paper in its life (and on the second set of ink tanks) I'm frankly disgusted with it, and will never buy another Epson product...

Can anyone recommend a decent, cheap(ish) inkjet that'll do photos if need be, and decent quality colour prints for CD covers etc (not copied ones, but ones I make up myself!). Printing onto CDRs and T-shirt transfers is a kind of cool idea, but not essential.

I am tempted by HP again (my old old old printer was an HP and didn't put a foot wrong), but am open to other (non-Epson!) suggestions. Cheap cartridges are also a must - and if there is still a printer out there that has seperate C, M, Y, K cartridges instead of just black and colour, that would be handy.

Parallel port and Win98 compatibility are musts - I haven't got round to upgrading my PC to Win XP yet...

domfjbrown, Aug 13, 2003
  2. domfjbrown

batfink

I don't think any "cheap" printers have seperate ink tanks.

Apart from HP, I would also take a look at Lexmark. Very good print quality for the money.

batfink, Aug 13, 2003
  3. domfjbrown

technobear Ursine Audiophile

4. domfjbrown

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I bought a £30 Appolo from Morgan a year ago, it came with dual catridge slots, an HP colour and HP black and white cartridge all for £30! Thats the same price as just one of them cartridges, so I got one cartridge and the printer free. I don't think they do them now but I've seen some cannons on there for £30.

www.morgancomputers.co.uk

amazingtrade, Aug 13, 2003
  5. domfjbrown

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

lexmark printers are cheap,but the cartriges are bloody expensive. have you tried a cleaning cartrige

themadhippy, Aug 13, 2003
  6. domfjbrown

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Les - Well, a cleaning cartridge is as expensive as a clone, and I think it's the ink that's dried up, so I've ordered two cheap clones. If they fail to work, I'll call it a day and buy a non-Fisher Price printer instead...

Amazingtrade - if I get no joy on the printer, I'll see what I can get from your link :)

domfjbrown, Aug 13, 2003
  7. domfjbrown

dom it could be the "not authrised by the manufacter "cartriges that are causing the problem,i use slightly more expensive copies as i had endless problems with the elcheapo brands,about the olny reason i vist dixons:D
    anyone know were i can get a white ink cartrige for an epson?

8. domfjbrown

Robert Edgar

:ffrc: :ffrc: :ffrc: :ffrc:

Robert Edgar, Aug 13, 2003
  9. domfjbrown

no joke sir,i want to print on black "paper"

10. domfjbrown

Robert Edgar

Robert Edgar, Aug 13, 2003
  11. domfjbrown

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

dom. I hated epson for a while, but have had to conclude that they do the best inkjet printers avaiable.

For my cartridges I goto choice.stationary.co.uk This web site is fantastic, next day delivery and for my epson the colour carts are 36 quid new (five chamber), from this site two colour and two black for 17 quid. Plus the paper products are excellent value I have been printing on 140dpi matte coated paper for a recent important presentation, and it looks fantastic, at 6 quid a pack of 100 very good indeed.

Don't ditch the printer. But perhaps you need to invest in one that you can physically turn off. what annoyed my about the epson I had before was everytime you switched the computer on it would kick inbto action and clean itself. Whereas the one I have now you can swithc it off properly.

garyi, Aug 14, 2003
Ask a Question