Cheap Projector

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by garyi, Dec 18, 2004.

1. garyi

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

We have spotted a rather charming 18th century cottage near to my work. And Have placed an offer.

There is compromise in life and the inglnook fireplace is quite dominant in the room and the layout suggests the only place for speakers is either side. This I can live with.

We still have the problem of the TV though.

My intention (because we don't actually watch a lot of TV) is to get a projector which can beam onto the Chimney breast.

But can this be done cheaply to the max? Basically we don't watch a terrific amount so it would be for the news at 6 and the occasional 'house' show? So quility is not an issue really.

Cheap means 500 or less LOL

garyi, Dec 18, 2004
  2. garyi

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Unless that chimney breast is amazingly flat and untextured, you will need a screen. This could be screwed to ceiling joists and retracted when not in use.
    If you only want to use the projector for TV (i.e. not for PC use) then SVGA resolution (800x600) would be fine and these can now be had for well under a grand.
    Try to dem a few as some of them have quite noisy fans.

technobear, Dec 18, 2004
  3. garyi

avanzato

With a PJ the size of the image depends on how far the PJ is from the 'screen'. Even those with a zoom feature. If you're wanting to project a 'small' image onto a Chimney Breast you might find the PJ is only a few feet away from it and in the way. You will need to calculate the throw distance before buying a projector, otherwise you may end up not being able to get the screen size you want from the place you can position the PJ.

Another thing to factor in is that PJ bulbs cost anywhere around £200-£300 a time and aren't guaranteed to last as long as they say.

avanzato, Dec 18, 2004
  4. garyi

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Also consider an LCD tv. Can get a 26" locally for £760 now, with 1280x768 resolution. It also has the tv tuning etc built in, unlike a projector. It will also double as a computer monitor for HTPC should you be so inclined. Sitting in comfort with the fire going, hifi on and being able to surf the net in the same room may or may not appeal...

I-S, Dec 18, 2004
  5. garyi

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Thanks guys I think once we have moved in I can measure up, perhaps I can get a Flat screen on an arm which can bend round when required, that could live above the speakers :)

Might consider some new speakers as well and was thinking along the lines of B&W Standmounts. Any suggestions (The point being its a terraced and the SBLs will be against the wall of next door, so a speaker away from the wall might be called for)

garyi, Dec 18, 2004
  6. garyi

cjm

Gary

I use an Infocus 4800 clone (it's rebranded as IBM ILV300). The Infocus 4800, when last I noticed, could be had for in the region of £600 or 700 as it was replaced by the 4805 whose native format is widescreen. I'd suggest you look for the 4800 or a clone. There are various clones to be had, X1 (also by Infocus but marketed as business projector). Toshiba also do one, but I can't remember the model number. The picture quality, with a decent DVD player (I use the pioneer 575a c. £120) is excellent.

As already suggested, you'll need to check the throw distance - the Infocus site has a simple calculator to help with this. I use a room 18 x 13ft. The projector is on a coffee table about 12 to 14 ft from the wall and gives an image up to, depending on format, about 8ft diagonal. I don't use a screen but a smooth white painted wall. This means that I can move the projector and zoom to get the size of picture I want, without the constraints of a screen. I dont' miss a screen at all as the picture is already impressive, especially given the cheap cost. Sound is also important. You could run it through a regular hifi set up to good effect, but I think that surround sound really enhances the whole experience. A reasonable size TV, IMO, gives nothing of the impact of the projector and especially lacks its sense of 3D and of 'being there' in the action.

Had my set up for a year now. I don't use it every day, but the impact of enjoying a good DVD film through it is still great fun.

Chris

cjm, Dec 19, 2004
  7. garyi

Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe, Dec 20, 2004
  8. garyi

avanzato

Just adding my experience of prices to Mr_Sukebe's review of the Panasonic. I have a Sanyo Z1 that cost me the good price at the time of £1300, when it was discontinued it dropped down to about £600 or so. There is nothing deader in the water than last years Projector model.

avanzato, Dec 20, 2004
Ask a Question