Cheap silent computer power supplies

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Jul 9, 2005.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Has anybody got any suggestions? I need it to power a Celeron 300Mhz which will be hard drive less, basicaly the OS will be contained on CD and a pen drive will be used to store local files.

Will those 60w Mini ITX laptop style power supplies be suitable? I've looked on google but not found much.

I need a cheap silent PC I have a motherbaord with a passive celeron CPU but PSUs always have fans. I have an extremely limited budget.

amazingtrade, Jul 9, 2005
  2. amazingtrade

lhatkins Dazed and Confused

a fanless psu will be expensive and big, because off all the heat sinks. I guess you've looked at quiet pc site?

lhatkins, Jul 10, 2005
  3. amazingtrade

Tenson Moderator

I DIY'd mine. I would suggest getting a not very powerful PSU, taking the fan out and fixing a large CPU heat sink out the back somehow where the fan normally blows out. Un-solder the transistors that are on the small heat sinks already in there and fix them via wires to the back of the large CPU heat sink. It worked for me! You wont get a cheap and reasonably powered one any other way. What about using a car battery?

Tenson, Jul 10, 2005
  4. amazingtrade

I am not sure I am upto that task as messing about with power supplies if you don't know what you're doing can be dangerious. How would I connect up a car battery? I know its the correct voltage (12v) and as its already direct current I assume you can pretty much get rid of the PSU circuit. But how do you connect this to the motherboard? I.e the ATX header?

PS The CPU is a Celeron 300, and it will have 1 HD and one CD-ROM althoguh the video card will probably seperate as well, it will be on old one.

amazingtrade, Jul 10, 2005
  5. amazingtrade

Tenson Moderator

Not sure mate! It seems like it should be possible though. I would start by seeing if it is easy to just connect the battery to the regulators. I am not quite sure what voltage they expect on the input, but you may find it can simply be connected on there.

Tenson, Jul 11, 2005
  6. amazingtrade

Will The Lucky One

A car battery is 12v yes, but there are other voltages necessary for a computer to work. An ATX PSU supplies 3.3v and 5v to the motherboard as well as just 12v, also there is -12v as well...

Will, Jul 11, 2005
  7. amazingtrade

Yep of course, I didn't think of that. So that will invovle making a power supply circuit, also the output of car batteries often exceeds 12v making complex voltage regulators a must.

I think the silent PSU idea is not going to work.

amazingtrade, Jul 11, 2005
Ask a Question