cheap valve amps

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by taz, Jun 20, 2006.

1. taz

taz

ok can someone help me
    I am toying with the idea of trying one of the many cheap Chinese valve amps on offer, the problem is which one?
    i have not got a lot to spend but find all the different models confusing. 300b, push pull, single ended, triode, el34, kt88?? I mean which will give the best sound per pound? I don't want an explanation of what they all do just a relative idea to what they sound like. Please answers in the big print version with pictures as I find all the numbers very confusing.
    I am trying to get something that brings vocals to life with emotion and feel with good sound-staging and detail without sounding bright and sibilant :(

taz, Jun 20, 2006
  2. taz

lordsummit moderate mod

My Ming-Da 34A with nice EL34's may be up for sale soon, but as a starter cheap amp you can't do much better.

I'll try and give you a run down of what they mean:

Push pull: This is amps where they have at least 2 valves on the output stage, the phase is split and one pushes the other pulls. These have higher outputs than....

Single ended: One valve on the output stage, less power typically 5-10 Watts

Triode/pentode: This is something to do with how the valve is wired up. You need an expert for this!!

EL34 A very nice valve. Lots of tone, a bit rolled off at the treble and bass in absolute terms, but sounds very nice never the less.

KT88 A more modern valve, better bass and treble, but without the mid-range magic to these ears

300B Usually used in single ended and more expensive amps. I'd doubt you're going to come across these in your own personal quest.

Your two best bets are probably going to be something like a Ming-Da 34A, second hand Icon 40i, Prima Luna, or second hand Audio Note, Audio Innovations, Beard, Croft.
    I'd look hardest at the first 3

lordsummit, Jun 20, 2006
  3. taz

Dev Moderator

There's a cheapo valve amp in the classifieds.

Dev, Jun 20, 2006
  4. taz

mr cat Member of the month

ditto - I was going to say that...

please buy it as it'll stop me! :D

mr cat, Jun 20, 2006
  5. taz

Croc

i would say - be very carefull with cheap SET amps.
    it's relatively easy to produce a cheap push puul or even SE pentode.
    but SET is much dufficult/expensive.

Croc, Jun 22, 2006
Ask a Question