Cheapish SACD player recommendations, please

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Goomer, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Goomer

Goomer

Hi there.

Well, needing a cd player recently and having read the excellent praise from others for the Philips DVD963SA, I decided to buy one from play.com because they were so cheap. Well, it duly arrived, sounded great to my ears and I was very happy.

3 weeks later, the loading tray starts doing all sorts of strange things so I'm forced to send it back to play.com. Boo. No bother, I'm told, we'll get another out to you as soon as yours is confirmed as having been returned to us. Yippee. But no, it goes back and I find that my replacement is on back order whilst they await fresh stock. No stock arrives. Boo again. Order is cancelled and I get a refund. Damn.

So now, having purchased a few SACDs which I am very happy with, and a couple which I've yet to hear as they arrived after the machine was returned, I find myself missing a cd/sacd player from my rack. I can't find any other sources for the Philips machine on the web, so I'm looking for reasonably priced alternatives. I don't expect to get something as good for the money (£119.99) but would like something nice for around the £200.00 mark if possible, and it doesn't need to play DVDs, only competently play CDs and SACDs in two channel. I would consider second hand if the price is right and the machine is one which has service/parts availability.

Any suggestions?

Chris.

PS - I currently have a Rotel RCD-02 on loan and quite like it if that gives any ideas for similar machines: pretty even all round, plays all the discs I throw at it without sounding too fussed and doesn't get in the way of the music in any obvious ways.

Goomer, Nov 4, 2005
  2. Goomer

Rory satisfied

Pioneer DV575a. Plays DVD-A's too ;)
    If you literally only want a CD/SACD there is a Sony E-line model for £120 odd from Empiredirect but the Pioneer would do a better job and is very tweakable :)

You could also look out for a secondhand Sony SCDXB780 or 790, which have got the more upmarket QS build. My moneys firmly in the Pioneer camp though. One last thought- Pioneer 747a's such as mine can be picked up s/h for £150 now and i remember people saying the CD playback quality was up with £150-200 standalone cd spinners.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2005
    Rory, Nov 4, 2005
  3. Goomer

Lefty

Really sorry to hear about that Chris. I also have the DVD 963SA which I ordered from PLAY.com and you're right, it's a superb machine.

I agree with Rory. Go for the Pioneer DV575a. If I didn't have the Philips, it would be the one I would go for.

Lefty

Lefty, Nov 4, 2005
  4. Goomer

Goomer

Thanks, chaps.

The Pioneer 575 certainly looks tempting at the price Richers are doing it for, and I also like the idea of a secondhand 747 as I remember being very impressed by one a friend of mine owned for a while before going really, really flash with his player (he changed to a Wadia, from memory).

The Sony is also interesting as there are a couple of the 790s I've seen brand new for money around my budget. I wonder about a secondhand 940, though, as these can be picked up pretty cheaply now - anyone know if they can be serviced still(and at what cost)?

Thanks again,

Chris.

Goomer, Nov 4, 2005
  5. Goomer

Goomer

To follow up on this, I have won a Sony DVP-NS705V for less than £50.00 to have a play with and am now thinking about an off board DAC to spruce up CD playback. I'm looking at s/hand and wonder about my options - what decentish DACs are around for the £100.00 mark? Any giants of yesteryear available now for silly money?

Goomer, Nov 13, 2005
Ask a Question