Chinese Hi Fi (revisited)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Ken, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Ken

joecrowe

Hi Ken
    Just to answer your questions
    Sound Quality
    You would have to bear in mind that these are the first valve amps I have owned
    Previously I had a Dynavector HX75 and before that Naim Nap 250

The cybers were a big improvement over the solid state especailly in scale and clarity and dynamics
    Some of this could be attributed to the a better match with the new Tom Evans Vibe with pulse power supply

Build quality appears excellent. If I told you there were built in USA you would not doubt it from the appearance

I have had no problems with the elecrical performance but I know others who have
    An owner from Brisbane that I was in contact with put his on the market in despair, they kept blowing valves, didnt do any other damage though but he was unable to fix the problem and there were others
    The Austalian distributer of the amps has put this down to fluctuations in the voltage of the power supply in county areas, he has taken back amps from customers and onsold them to others in a different area who alledgedly had no problems at all. He has sold the Cybers to other customers in Perth and not had them returned,
    I have had no problems. At 650 pounds per unit they are excellent value, and not cheap Chinese valves either Harmonix but what I know about valves is dangerous
    Anyhow I have no plans to change them, my Harbeth Super Hl5 speakers can be quite revealing and im not getting any nasties
    Hope this helps
    Cheers

joecrowe, Oct 30, 2005
  2. Ken

Mandeep

I've not been on this forum for a while but this thread caught my eye. I have the v8i running a pair of 802 series 3 and it does an excellent job. I did not have to go through the hassle of importing it myself as I managed to locate a used one in the uk.

Mandeep, Nov 1, 2005
  3. Ken

Legzr1

Thanks for the info.
    Can you tell me what amps you compared it to or which amp it replaced?
    I take it the speakers you use are the B&W Matrix series from a few years back?
    Which source are you using?
    Also,how much did you manage to get it for?
    Sorry for all the questions ;)

Legzr1, Nov 1, 2005
  4. Ken

inteificio

inteificio, Nov 1, 2005
  5. Ken

Mandeep

Legzr1 I compared it to my old Nad C370 and Tag 60i. At the time I had Proac Studio 125 and Teac VRDS X25. I have since replaced the proacs and teac with the 802s and PC with an RME soundcard.

I tried the amp in situ and the speakers (proacs) loved the extra power and control. The music sounded so much more defined but this could be the tendency for proacs to like higher power. It runs the 802s which are very hard load for most amps very easily. To be completely honest I cannot remember exactly how much I paid I think it was in the region of 500.

Mandeep, Nov 1, 2005
  6. Ken

COOLGUY

Vincent

I still use a solid state Vincent cdp s3, very satisfied, starts having problems with some cd s now, after 2something years /sharp, cut cut cut noise, very loud high frequency at certain parts of cds/. will give to local distributor. He is a good engineer and I hope he will fixit. it occures on cca 5 cds of my entire collection.

did have sv 233 integrated. Also very satisfied, had to adapt Alps potmeter, as it played too loud at low volume setting. but was cheap and soudned fine for the money. I praise the cd most, it survived an upgrade, and i feel no need of upgrade.

COOLGUY, Nov 2, 2005
  7. Ken

Colin2040

Reserecting this post slightly I wondered how some opf these amps are performing.Thinbking about a pre amp purchase from Cattylink and wondered if there have been any issues. Looking at Yarland and,Jungson and Xindak. Any thoughts or comments welcomed.

Colin2040, Oct 28, 2008
  8. Ken

budkor

Music Angel XD800 MKIII KT88 valve amp

I bought one from the eBay about a month ago. I was a bit unsure when I was bidding for it on the quality and all that, but it arrived in 2 days (UK seller), and it weighed about 26 kg. I set it up, and it works great.

It sounds so good and nice looking. No major problems at all.

One or two minor problems (worries) are, lack of English manual and in the future if something goes wrong, I would not know where to turn to.

But having been simply built with no ICs and chips, perhaps it may not be so bad to service or maintain. It is going strong now - touch wood.

Every night it gets swithced on, and it sings. Nice lovely warm red glow from the 4x KT88 heats my music room well too with slight touch of glass burning smell - love it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2008
    budkor, Oct 28, 2008
  9. Ken

Tarzan

Chi-fi

Hi, l have a Jungson JA-88D 80W Class A intergrated amp it is big and l mean big for the money l payed for it l am more than happy.:)

Tarzan, Oct 28, 2008
  10. Ken

Corruption

My Consonance CD player was purchased 2nd hand and has had a couple of minor issues which have both been promptly put right by the lovely people at Alium Audio. I would highly recommend both the player and the dealer :)

Neil

Corruption, Oct 28, 2008
  11. Ken

AlanB Audiophile

I have a Primaluna Prologue One which is built in China with strict (so they say) controls emanating from Holland.
    Had it a few months and no problems. Beautifully built and sounds superb to my ears. Worth a bit of tube rolling though.

AlanB, Nov 3, 2008
  12. Ken

Rocket 88

Anyone know anything about Music Angel power amps and the EL34 powered one in particular? Reliability, used price etc..?

Rocket 88, Dec 29, 2009
  13. Ken

SU27

Have experience with 2 amps from the orient:

1. Cayin A-88T integrated tube amp that can be run in single ended mode or triode mode. An absolute honey in single ended mode. Quality fit and finish are excellent. The stock tubes supplied with amp are also quite good (I believe EH / Tungsol).

2. Jungson JA88D class A integrated amp. Must be THE bargain in hifi amps at the moment. Pure class A sound and able to drive demanding speakers with authority. Again build quality, fit and finish are excellent.

Would recommend Cayin and Jungson kit

SU27, Dec 30, 2009
  14. Ken

growla666

Yaqin MS-300B - excellent for the money

I bought a Yaqin MS-300B integrated (£425 from an audiophile on Ebay) and by pass the pre stage with my Audio Research SP7 and I have to say with a sensitive pair of box speakers like EPOS14s or Castle Durhams they sound extremely transparent have real depth to the image and beautiful mids/treble. I'd say with the stock Chinese Valves the amp is a touch bass light- i have yet to roll to them but am reliably informed that with a better set of valves they are magnificent. They do drive my Magneplanars reasonably well and can get the ATCs to a decent SPL but quickly run out of steam and distort if the music peaks too loudly. Compared to my reference Krell KSA100MkII they may lack uumph (only 9.5w per channel) but they don't lack much in terms of transparency and soundstage. I have found them to be picky about cables and sound best with my QED79/Solid core mix home made cables (seriously!)....My experience (i.e. my ears) tells me that the Yaqin stuff is bloody great VFM.

Build quality is very good, weighs in at 23Kg with a beautiful aluminium case and valve cage. Supplied aluminum remote is especially welcome for the money.

See http://www.zerogain.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1410&d=1261870507 to see it with my Maggies and a cheap'n'cheerful Philips CD460. Well worth seeking out.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2009
    growla666, Dec 31, 2009
Ask a Question