Choosing Cartridge/Need Advice

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ali_x, Oct 25, 2008.

1. ali_x

ali_x

Im looking to buy a cartridge to go with my Rega RB250 Origin Live upgraded tonearm (which has'nt arrived yet).

Ive read nothing but positive remarks about the Shelter 501 mk2, so im seriously considering this one at around £500. I understand it is supposed to have a slightly warm sound, which is fine by me.

The Dynavector Karat 17D3 has some good reviews costing around £600. It has a very unique short stylus.

The ZYX R-100-02H Yatra is another slightly more expensive option and costs £900.

I had been interested in the Dynavector XX2 (costing £1000 nearly) until I read a review which stated it was sensitive to load impedence settings and wasn't worth considering unless your phono amp allows use of different settings, which mine does'nt.

(http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/xx2mk2_e.html)

Could anyone give any advice on both cartridges ive listed or different makes in a similar price range?.

Am I looking to spend too much bearing in mind that my speakers were about £850.

ali_x, Oct 25, 2008
  2. ali_x

FrankDeckard

All really good carts, but what else are you using? Table/amp/speakers?

The Shelter is a great cartridge. I would go with that.

FrankDeckard, Oct 26, 2008
  3. ali_x

ali_x

Im using an SRM Arezzo Ultra turntable, Audio Experience Symphonies Preamp (upgraded tube amp), Monoblock Gainclone Power Amps, Graham Slee Reflex Phono Amp, Acoustic Energy AE1 Classic speakers and JAV Silver Reference Cable/interconnects.

ali_x, Oct 26, 2008
  4. ali_x

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Ali_x,

There are alot of really good cartridges for under a £1000. The big problem is getting dems of them. Years ago cartridge dems were done with arms with detachable headshells so you could swop cartridges quite easily. Other method included having more than one turntable with the same arm but different cartridges on them.

The increase in price of the cartridge is no guarantee that it is load better. Certain cartridges may suit ceratin systems (& tastes) better.

At the bottom end, the denon DL110(£70) /160 (£90) cartridges are a steal for the money. The Denon DL304 cost around £200 and is worth a look.

I like Ortofon cartridges. They are have a good range for under a £1000. I would look at the Ortofon Rondo Red at around £325. This is a excellent cartridge for the money, tracks well sounds very good.

At a £1000, you have the Rohmann. I had one of these as a main cartridge a few years ago. I enjoyed it very much. In between these two, you have the rest of the Rondo range & the Kontrpunt range. The Kontrpunt range is based around the more expensive Ortofon Jubilee cartridge.

I would look at the Shelter cartridges as these have sounded excellent in the systems that I hve heard them in.

The ZYX cartridges look very interesting. I have read nothing but good review about them.

What you can do is see if you can get loans of the the cartridges you are interested in. This may not be easy, especially with the cheaper ones.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Oct 26, 2008
Ask a Question