Chord Chamelion interconnect

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by cylinvan, Oct 15, 2006.

1. cylinvan

cylinvan

Ok Guys,
    I have been having a go at DIY interconnects. Maybe some success?? interesting none the less. Will post some imo results.
    But in the swopping about I have forgotten which way round the Chords go. There is a yellow band which goes towards the source or the Amp? I know could swap back and forth but my ears have kind of lost the plot at the moment.
    Stop laughing and help me out please!

cylinvan, Oct 15, 2006
  2. cylinvan

zanash

I'm not as I can't hear any dirrectional cables[unless they are pseudoblalanced]....whip the bodies off and see if they have a shield ..this will be connected at one end only. The conventional wisdom is that these should be run so the shield is connected at the source end......but like most things try them the other way round.

If you don't want to reinvent the wheel I can [maybe] offer some advice ....as I've spent the last 15 years messing with cables !!

zanash, Oct 16, 2006
  3. cylinvan

cylinvan

Thanks for the info. I have just checked the Chords and the screens are connected at both ends! I will have a little swop and listen this evening.

I understand the principle of connecting screening at one end fron a previous question when making up mains leads - but what effect sonically would connecting at both ends on an interconnect possibly have?

cylinvan, Oct 17, 2006
  4. cylinvan

zanash

Depends if its got more than one conductor in the centre....it could be the ground return.

zanash, Oct 17, 2006
  5. cylinvan

cylinvan

As far as I can see the cable is 4 core, with 1 core (happens to be red) acting as the conductor, the other cores cut off flush, and the screening connected at both ends. Does that make sense?
    On a different note-
    Of the cables I made up, the best sounding is a very small dia solid centre core, with a very fine silvery looking screen. The inner insulation appears to be polyetheline and the outer sheath PTFE.The amount of extra detail at the top end is considerable. The bass is better defined but less weighty. The vocals are clear but cold.
    The overall impact is a more detailed sound - good - but a glassy bright sound - bad. Not something I can really live with.
    Do you know of a better source of leads?! I am no stranger to a soldering iron but don't want to spend a fortune.

cylinvan, Oct 17, 2006
  6. cylinvan

zanash

Seems a bit of a waste ?

must be an off the shelf cable used for something else .

If you want build from scratch ....the materials are easily available.

try a magnet wire cable ....I'll repost the recipe in the diy section as a seperate thread.

zanash, Oct 17, 2006
  7. cylinvan

cylinvan

I'll repost the recipe in the diy section as a seperate thread.

Thanks. I'll look out for it.

cylinvan, Oct 17, 2006
Ask a Question