Chord DAC 64 - versions?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by alanbeeb, Jun 24, 2004.

1. alanbeeb

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

Got a chance to audition this at home since last night and very impressed so far - will probably post a review sometime.

I have heard there are differences between later and earlier versions of this dac. The one I have on loan is the latest spec. What are these differences and how might they affect the sound given I'm using a conventional CD player as transport with a coaxial cable (with a RCA - BNC convertor on the dac end)? thanks, Alan

alanbeeb, Jun 24, 2004
  2. alanbeeb

analoguekid Planet Rush

Alan you should know better, first few posts will be informative and offer insight into the differences then all the arguments will start and this thread will run and run, with lots of hanbags being swung, and petty name calling etc. Still beats the hell out of watching reruns of old tennis matches. I think we ought to put a roof on this bloody country.

analoguekid, Jun 24, 2004
  3. alanbeeb

michaelab desafinado

There have been two major "versions" of the DAC64, MkI and MkII (allthough they weren't labelled as such). The main differences are:

- the MkII has a power switch, the older one didn't
    - the MkII has dual BNC digital inputs for receiving digital signals with a sample frequency above 96kHz (a single cable doesn't have the bandwidth). The older one only had the single BNC digital input (they both have TOSLink and AES/EBU XLR digital inputs).
    - The MkII has a wider jitter window in order to tolerate some extremely jittery transports which the older one could not lock on to.

Chord (and even Rob Watts himself) claim there are no sonic differences between the two and having heard both in my system (and living with a MkII) I would agree. There are a handful of people however who claim the MkI sounds better.

There were also some subtle changes in the appearance of the casing between the two models but nothing you'd notice unless you did a side by side comparison.

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 24, 2004
  4. alanbeeb

merlin

merlin, Jun 24, 2004
  5. alanbeeb

michaelab desafinado

merlin - why did you have to enter with your stirring stick again? :rolleyes: . All that Alan wanted was factual information, which I provided. There's no point in having the DAC64 debate all over again.

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 24, 2004
  6. alanbeeb

Thanks Michael. No need for debate AFAIAK.... I am certainly not hearing harsh upper mids or trebles and this is definitely on the shortlist, especially if I can find one going cheaper than its price new.

alanbeeb, Jun 24, 2004
  7. alanbeeb

analoguekid Planet Rush

analoguekid, Jun 24, 2004
  8. alanbeeb

greg Its a G thing

I'd be interested in your opinions as IIRC you had a SCD-1 which you found somewhat cold but you currently have a XA3000ES which you found warmer. As an SCD-1 owner and as I'm considering a XA3000ES as a second machine I'd like to hear your perspectives

greg, Jun 24, 2004
  9. alanbeeb

Lt Cdr Data om

sony 3000 excellent, much better than the xa930 despite the mags assertions.
    DAc64 not hard IMO, tad mechanical when compared to a music machine, but very good with it.

Lt Cdr Data, Jun 24, 2004
  10. alanbeeb

Basically the SCD-XA3000ES is a better more natural CD player IMO than the SCD-1. It has a much lusher, warmer more human presentation with a big soundstage. The SCD-1 plays everything on the disc as is - very truthfully - but it sounds cold and uninvolving.

However, the XA3000ES does its warm richness at the expense of some detail and can sound a bit laid back. That's why I've decided to look at upgrading it with an external DAC or possibly replace it. However, it is a superb player especially at its price point - it can be purchased online for £600 and I preferred it to the much vaunted Cyrus CD8 and found an MF Trivista DAC did very little improvement. With very neutral or slightly forward bright amp/speaker combos it could be perfect.

With SACD the story is reversed.... the SCD-1 (as I remember it) was a killer with SACD, whereas the XA3000ES sounds recessed and undynamic with SACD. In some cases the CD layer of a hybrid disc can be preferable to the SACD layer - examples being Chandos recordings of Vaughan Williams symphonies which are already quite distant recordings anyway. Certainly the meridian G08 and DAC64 playing the CD layer were preferable to all my SACDs on the XA3000ES. But having had a SCD-1 before, I know SACD can be better.

So I am now keeping an eye open for a second-hand SCD-1 for playing SACD and to use as a CD transport with a DAC like the Chord 64.

There are a lot of SACD titles becoming available, especially classical, so I think its worth having SACD capability.

alanbeeb, Jun 24, 2004
  11. alanbeeb

merlin

OK Michael, I was bored!

You know I like the DAC64 really, it's fun to listen to.

merlin, Jun 24, 2004
  12. alanbeeb

greg Its a G thing

Certainly in my experience of the SCD-1 the CD presentation is engaging, particularly the rythmical presentation and bass and I found it more than met the players I auditioned up to the £1500 mark (IMO), but it is definitely a little clinical. Through my Lavardin its detail works well, but through my Krell Kav-300i it can be surgical. Currently I am evaluating whether the vacuumstate modification package might be the solution. It seems good value and is apparently quite remarkable in terms of results. I would agree the SACD playback is fascinating though.

greg, Jun 24, 2004
  13. alanbeeb

I'm running a Lavardin IT too. On the SCD-1 what is this Vacumn State mod package? - got any links to info for it? I've looked at the Audiocom mods for the SCD-1 but couldn't find any opinions on them.

alanbeeb, Jun 24, 2004
  14. alanbeeb

greg Its a G thing

Actually I have an IS Ref which lacks a certain amount of drive, I was considering trying to get hold of an IT in the hope it would have the same qualities as the IS Ref but have greater drive and punch.

Regards vacuumstate - a chap I know with a 9000ES had the vacuumstate mods done and he tells me the results were substantial. Apparently the mods involve bypassing the the existing backend (i.e. from the vc24 chip onwards) with their own backend. Interestingly Allen Wright at Vacuumstate considers his favourite as the 9000ES, especially for redbook. Though they mod the 777ES and the SCD-1 with great effect. One thing I was warned of - while Allen Wright is absolutely fastidious regards quality and personally verfies each modded machine - also offering to reverse mods completely if you are dissatisfied (you pay return carriage naturally) he is known to take his time so you wouldn't get your machine back for a few weeks. www.vacuumstate.com

The audiocom mods are based on those done by Richard Kern and are well thought of but seemed relatively poor value IMO. WM would easily be a better bet as far as I'm concerned for these type of mods. The vacuumstate ones are as you can probably tell - VERY custom for Sony machines particularly (though not exclusively).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2004
    greg, Jun 24, 2004
  15. alanbeeb

Interesting - anyone got any views of the Sony SCD XA9000ES vs. SCD-1 for stereo SACD and redbook CD playback?

alanbeeb, Jun 25, 2004
Ask a Question