Cleaning ESL grille

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by rsand, Aug 9, 2005.

1. rsand

rsand I can't feel my toes

I had to do some angle grinding in the lounge and everywhere is covered in dust, it mad much more of a mess than antisipated.

The questions then is although I cant see the dust on the grilles I know its there will it cause them any problems?

And can I clean it with the vaccum cleaner or will that damage the diaghfram?

Worth noting they are the 988's not metal 57's

rsand, Aug 9, 2005
  2. rsand

Garmt

I thought all Quad electrostatic speakers were sealed?

Garmt, Aug 9, 2005
  3. rsand

alanl

This is simple, Turn off the speakers and amps, wait one hour for the speakers to discharge and vac the grill if you feel that the dust has passed the outer sock grill then remove top and roll down the fabric grill and vac the metal grill. Please note that you should lower the vac's power as to not damage the dust cover.

I use Quad Esl-63's without the metal grill or the dust covers fitted and just vac once a week with the standard house work needs and have not had any problems in the last two years using them this way.

alanl, Aug 10, 2005
  4. rsand

rsand I can't feel my toes

Thanks. My dyson doesn't have power settings, so I will fit the brush attachment as this will reduce the suction.

Alanl, how much of a difference is ther listening without grill or covers?

rsand, Aug 10, 2005
  5. rsand

alanl

rsand,
    I would suggest leaving the dust cover and grills fitted to your speakers. Removing the grill and dust cover from the quads was a great up-grade for me as the sound just became more direct with better low level detail as you have a cleaner path to the panel. The down side to removing the parts is you lose a little of that soft quad sound, a friend commented that they sound more Wilson Watt/Puppy's than Quad ESL.

alanl, Aug 11, 2005
  6. rsand

Lord .

Bzzzzzzzzzt.

Isn't another downside the greater risk of death via kV electrocution?

Lord, Aug 11, 2005
Ask a Question