Cleaning Out My Closet - Redux - Shanling Monoblock Valve Amp's

Discussion in 'Classified Adverts' started by 3DSonics, Feb 6, 2007.

1. 3DSonics

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Folks,

A lot of stuff from the "cleaning out my closet" thread is gone, others still clutter up the house.

With the Tax Bill from HRH's Inland Revenue Service in as well I could do with shifting some more, both for the gain of space and to pay the IRS....

What is left?

[​IMG]

One pair of Shanling SP-80 UK Valve Push-Pull monoblocks, early (stainless steel) generation, new price £ 2,000. Original packaging is still around as well and of course included.

They have seen occasional use in my system but have not run all that much, cosmetically I'd say "nearly mint".

These had only as much upgrade work done as I consider ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL, that means they had their output stage triode connected for only around 25Watt output power but much better sound (can be changed back to Pentode for 50W or Ultralinear for 35W output easily, if at less aound quality, just specify).

Also the Solid State Preamp stage is removed (these amplifiers are really crippled by that thing), so no volume control on board any longer, pure valve monoblock power amplifiers. I can put the Solid State preamp back if you must have it (seriously, this thing simply kills sonically what is an excellent Push-Pull Valve Amplifier).

Modded like that they sound rather good, no, not 300B SE Amplifier levels of sound quality, but you get 25W of triode power per channel which will drive most speakers well enough. Damping factor, due to the triode mode is much improved over the originals, also the somewhat strident upper midrange character of the original pentode output stage is removed.

As the coupling Capacitors are decent quality WIMA (not the cheap chinese MIT imitations found on later units) I did not change them, however they can upgraded if you like at a fairly nominal cost. I can also perform some other upgrades if desired, let me know.

For a quick sale we call the pair £750 firm. Shipping is possible in the UK or even europe. Otherwise pickup in North London.

Ciao T

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2007
    3DSonics, Feb 6, 2007
  2. 3DSonics

HR100MCS

Hi,

What are the inputs - RCA or Balanced?

Guto

HR100MCS, Feb 9, 2007
  3. 3DSonics

Hi,

They are RCA and on the sides of the amplifier. Outputs are Binding posts for 4 & 8 Ohm speakers, IEC Mains connectors.

Due to the way the amplifiers are designed I could however convert them fully balanced operation with balanced inputs if desired at a notional fee.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Feb 9, 2007
  4. 3DSonics

HR100MCS

This sounds quite good. What exactly do you mean by modest fee?

How good are these (I have read various reviews and no agreement on quality would be a fair comment) and to what extent does your mods make a significant difference?

If the price for balanced mode appeals how long would the work take to be completed?

Sorry for all the questions but I am interested.

HR100MCS, Feb 11, 2007
  5. 3DSonics

Hi,

You have a PM (Private Message)....

Ciao T

3DSonics, Feb 12, 2007
  6. 3DSonics

mhuk easily distracted

Did you sell the Shanlings?

mhuk, Feb 18, 2007
  7. 3DSonics

Hi,

Nothing firmly agreed yet, so they are still available.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Feb 19, 2007
  8. 3DSonics

Now sold....

3DSonics, Feb 19, 2007
  9. 3DSonics

Neil

Bu@@er - would have liked these id I'd sold the Grados!!

Neil, Feb 20, 2007
Ask a Question