Cleaning the laser

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amazingtrade, Dec 29, 2003.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I think the laser on my CDP needs cleaning as I have never cleaned it and its 4 years old.

I Pete Shelley's (The Buzzcocks) voice sounds very squicky with a lot of sibeliences, I have never noticed this before.

Anyway the point of this thread is to ask how what substance should I use to clean the laser?

I don't want to risk cleaning it with somthing that may damage it.

Also is there anything else I can do while I have back off? I just feel my CDP needs a general service to give it another couple of years of life.

amazingtrade, Dec 29, 2003
  2. amazingtrade

michaelab desafinado

I used a cotton bud soaked lightly in some surgical spirit. Make sure the bud doesn't leave any stray fibres on the lens.

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 29, 2003
  3. amazingtrade

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

His voice ALWAYS sounds like that - especially on "Ever fallen in love" - it's just the way he is. It's the same on CD, vinyl or tape, on numerous systems I've ever heard Buzzcocks stuff on.

As Michael says, cotton buds can work well, but use the smallest bit of spirit you can otherwise you might leave an oily discharge (oooh err) on the lens.

Of course, if you asked this on the Naim forum, they'd tell you to use Blu-Tak. I don't reckon that's such a good idea though ;)

domfjbrown, Dec 30, 2003
  4. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Re: Re: Cleaning the laser

By CDP is already full of Blu-Tak:D . Therei sa small bob ontop of the transport and I have placed a bit on top of each capacitor.

I think I may be left leaving the laser alone. I need a new half decent interconnect to connect my AV stuff to my Rotel preamp.

I am using a very bright Ixos cable on my CDP at the moment, I am just going to buy a QED 2 cable as when I did the audition this sounded less bright and of course since then I have bought brighter headphones.

amazingtrade, Dec 30, 2003
  5. amazingtrade

Tom.

Buy a lens cloth from your local optician, and use that. After 4 years, unless you live in a sawmill, I doubt it has much dirt on it :)

Tom., Dec 30, 2003
Ask a Question