clipping - sugden and fabers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by peez, Jun 17, 2008.

1. peez

peez

Hi everyone,
    I use a Sugden a21ai with sonus fabers concertino's , orig bi wire 86db @ 6 ohms, and have become aware of some very hard sounding treble esp with any sort of rock guitar etc, and its more pronounced on complex pieces (unkle - war stories)
    I am guessing the amp is clipping and its distortion I am hearing - if so do i swap the amp for more grunt, or the speakers for higher sensitivity ones.
    confused as sugden say it should drive no probs???? (amp has been serviced)

zingalis sound promising , but don't come up often s/h (not keen on the finish of the italy series ones)

or sell the suggie and go the pathos / unison research unico amp route? whats the classic one like?

option 3 is bi amp the sugden with a p21, but not sure if this would cure the problem.

i like them both (my sugden and fabers) and only wish the amp had more grunt , or the fabers higher sensitivity

peez, Jun 17, 2008
  2. peez

hifi addict

Have a chat with Joe at Audioboffs up in North London. They are the Zingali dealer for the south. Joe also has a range of the Pathos amps as well.

hifi addict, Jun 18, 2008
  3. peez

la toilette Downright stupid

Hi Peez,

Defo try and audition the Unico if you like the Sugden - I had an A21a and, having sold it to go down the valve route, I subsequently found myself looking for another 2nd hand one a couple of years later. Didn't find one at the time so got hold of the Unico instead, and so far I haven't been disappointed, in fact quite the opposite. :)

Dave

la toilette, Jun 18, 2008
  4. peez

peez

Thanks for the advice, I will speak to the people at audioboffs and have a listen, shame as i do love my sugden but i am not going to be rash or hasty whatever i decide, a solution is out there as they say.................

peez, Jun 19, 2008
  5. peez

D Louth 77

Hi peez

I have used a Classic One mk2 with Sonus Faber Signums with some good results but this was in a smallish room . The Classic one is very good with speakers that are just to the warmer side but it prefers easier drive speakers .Some Fabers like (need) very good current(drive). The Sugden is a very good class a amp but may need a slightly easier drive speaker to show it to its best.

With Pathos you need to avoid speakers that are to rich or have very heavy bass(less so with the Classic one) but with the others Logos etc. The Classic one is 75 walls but can be turned into a 135 watt mono integrated . This is how i use mine with the signums in an other system i have .

Only thing you need to watch out for is the amp will sound its best if hooked up via the balanced input,for this you will need a cd player or other source that is truly dual differential in its design(proper balanced),the results then in my opinion are amazing. The rca inputs are very good too but the balanced has the edge. Well worth a listen.

Back to your problem many modern recordings have distortion in them ,either as a choice or because they are to loud and clip(parts of Bat for Lashes album suffers from this). Its as a result of compression, i think?

Hope this helps D Louth

D Louth 77, Jun 20, 2008
Ask a Question