Close to wall speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mizrachi, May 5, 2004.

1. mizrachi

mizrachi

Does anyone have suggestions for bookshelf or floorstanding speakers that work well against or close to the wall behind it? I am interested in speakers of exceptional quality that cand fit in a fairly tight space. Thank you

mizrachi, May 5, 2004
  2. mizrachi

Gordon Gnu

You might want to have a look at some Polks. They may not be in the league of speakers that you want but I have a full set including some floorstander fronts and some bookshelf rears. I am extremely pleased with the quality of sound they give, the build and styling.

The rears are essentially designed to be mounted directly on the wall and are rear ported with a cone designed mouting bracket that helps disperse the sound (lovingly called a Power Port).

Just before I purchased mine I asked about their suitablilty, and it was suggested by people using the Polk forums that I use the bookshelf speakers as fronts due to their quality.

Polks are not particularly easy to source in the UK but if you can find a dealer, go have a listen.

Also, have a peek at the Polk website at http://www.polkaudio.com/home/

:)

Gordon Gnu, May 5, 2004
  3. mizrachi

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

You could consider Naim speakers or you could look out for some horn speakers (Impulse for instance)

LiloLee, May 5, 2004
  4. mizrachi

Gromit Buffet-blower

I was going to suggest the Naim stuff - is their gear still as fussy about partnering equipment? I've been out of the hi-fi frame for so long I've lost touch. :eek:

Gromit, May 5, 2004
  5. mizrachi

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

IMHO Naim speakers are just as fussy as any other speaker. Some combinations work some don't. Most speakers respond well to a bitty of welly and a good dampening factor to help control the bass. I'm sure they'll work well with Chord, DNM, Dynavector, basically anything that can deliver the ampage. Hell I know they're not Naim, but Linn Isosbarik ave been run with NAD 3020 and Nytech amps in the 70's and they kicked out all of 25watts.

LiloLee, May 5, 2004
  6. mizrachi

Dev Moderator

How about Audio Note Zero Series? I've heard these at various shows hard against corners. I think they need some bass re-enforcement from corners anyway.

Dev, May 5, 2004
  7. mizrachi

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Not sure what you would consider exceptional quality but in my experience most quality speakers like room to breath. One that doesn't and works well up close to a wall is the Mission 773e. At only £400 a pair, they were a real bargain. If you're a bass fiend you might want to add a sub to fill out the bottom end although the close-to-wall siting will give them a bit of a lift anyway.

technobear, May 5, 2004
  8. mizrachi

Just remembered, another speaker I've tried that was happy close to the wall was the ATC SCM12 standmounts.

technobear, May 5, 2004
  9. mizrachi

Mr_Sukebe

Also consider some Linn speakers. The Kans, Keilidhs and Kabers were also designed to work next to a wall, can't comment on newer gear.

I know that designing a speaker to work next to a wall induces it's own compromises, but I'm surprised that more aren't available, as it's a bit of an obvious point.
    Still, I don't particularly like most ported speakers I've heard because of the way that it "can" result in wobbly bass.

Mr_Sukebe, May 5, 2004
  10. mizrachi

Ninka's are closed-box and should also work.

technobear, May 5, 2004
  11. mizrachi

Ultrasonic Bo selecta!!

I think you'll find that bass light standmounts work best close to the rear wall, such models are Tannoy DC1(very open, fast&groovy) Monitor Audio Silver S1 ( not as groovy as the Tannoys but just as opened and more detailed IMO)

Ultra:D

Ultrasonic, May 5, 2004
  12. mizrachi

analoguekid Planet Rush

analoguekid, May 5, 2004
Ask a Question