Closing in on new Power amp..

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by liamjf, Feb 26, 2005.

1. liamjf

liamjf

Thanks to lots of replies to previous thread and a lot of internet searching :confused: ! I'm about ready on the power amp front.
    Audiogon seems the best bet with a Mark I Bel Canto eVo the likely suspect. Not sure which flavour yet, 6 seems like a good idea as it will power all my AV as well. The only other amp which has caught my eye due to great looks and reviews is the EAD stuff, particularly the Powermaster 1000. Don't suppose anyone knows that?
    Whilst I keep an eye out I would be grateful if anyone could chip in with likely good prices for eVo 2/4/6 as I would hate to miss out on a good price without realising. Any tips regarding importing from the US appreciated as well.

ATB, Liam.
    :bakeoff:

(no need for smilie, I just found it and it made me laugh)

liamjf, Feb 26, 2005
  2. liamjf

cab586

Being a bit of a B/C fan I can only congratulate you on your choice. Remember some units going on hififorsale. Audiogon would be my other recommendation. Importing from the US - best thing to do is to call Customs & Excise and ask them for the exact amout of duty/VAT you will pay. There's a phone number on their website - and ask wether there's still a trade war b/w the US and UK. Adds to the bill unfortunately (1%/month on certain items).

cab586, Feb 26, 2005
  3. liamjf

Ken

Do not forget the different power requirements between UK & USA.

Changing might not be possible or, might not be cheap.

If not possible you would have to add in the cost of a convertor, plus a convertor might add hum, either electrical or mechanical.

Ken

Ken, Feb 27, 2005
  4. liamjf

Matt F

Apparently it's dead easy to change the voltage on Bel Cantos - 10 minute job.

Matt.

Matt F, Feb 27, 2005
  5. liamjf

liamjf

Yeah, apparently it's just a case of swapping a couple of jumpers.
    Any comments on a eVo 4 for $1915 or an eVo 6 for $2300?
    Any ideas how much tax (17.5%?) and duty (4-6%?) to add?
    Is a bank wire a good idea and how much does that cost?

Cheers, Liam.

liamjf, Feb 27, 2005
  6. liamjf

HenryT

Modifying a Bel Canto amp to work on either 240/220/120/110V mains input is indeed very simple.

The only difficulty I've personally had with the two 200.2 amps I bought into the UK from the US recently was that I didn't have the right size hex screwdriver in order to remove the case screws so that I could remove the lid. They screws were metric rather than imperial sized (or was it the other way around). If you're the sort of person who has a decently equiped toolbox this won't be an issue for you though.

Once inside, it's a case of changing some jumpers leads over or flicking a swtich on the PCB depending on the model.

HenryT, Feb 27, 2005
  7. liamjf

liamjf

Thanks, any opinions on the aforementioned second hand prices?

Liam.

liamjf, Feb 28, 2005
Ask a Question