Clydesdale Finance

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PBirkett, Feb 13, 2006.

1. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Avoid this company at all costs.

I took out a buy now pay later scheme. Foolishly, I did not have the money to pay at the end... fair enough. Bend over time and I can have no complaints. I then went on to forget to pay on the required date, not once, but twice. Again my fault!

So I set up a standing order to go out on the date they say required payment. I get another letter through today, saying I'd be fined AGAIN!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

My statement clearly shows that the money went out to them on the day. They came out with a cock and bull story how I should set standing orders up 7 days in advance. Nowhere at all does it say on the documentation that came with the agreement I had to do this.

A bunch of absolute criminals of the highest disorder who are no doubt just going to continue adding unwarranted fines every single month. I am now going to have to get a bank loan to pay these absolute ****ers off because I'll owe them thousands if they keep this up.

Suffice to say, I told them exactly what I thought of their disgraceful company under no uncertain terms.

PBirkett, Feb 13, 2006
  2. PBirkett

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Not wanting to stick up for ANY finance company (one of the bigger ones was one my dad worked for - they're half the reason he's as ill as he is now IMHO) but...

Standing orders DO take a while to set up, and the money CAN take a while to go across, so it's not a total BS story (sorry dude!).

domfjbrown, Feb 14, 2006
  3. PBirkett

avanzato

Yep 3 days minimum 7 days to be safe should be allowed for a payment to clear into another account.
    BTW I'm not surprised they're getting annoyed as you've already paid late on the first two payments, though it looks like the fines have got your attention.

avanzato, Feb 14, 2006
  4. PBirkett

Markus S Trade

Paul, what counts is not the time at which you send the money, it's the time at which they get the money. The transaction time, i.e. the time the money takes to get from your end to their end, is your risk.

On the evidence so far, they are not crooks. Treat it as a learning experience.

Markus S, Feb 14, 2006
  5. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Yes. I naively assumed that these things done over the internet in 21st century would be done instantly.

I've set me next one for the 1st of the month (due date is the 8th), is this good enough or should i go even earlier?

PBirkett, Feb 14, 2006
  6. PBirkett

Markus S Trade

Should be okay.

Markus S, Feb 14, 2006
  7. PBirkett

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I've missed something somewhere.... wasn't there another thread where you were talking about spending money?

I-S, Feb 14, 2006
  8. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Yeah but effectively the sale of my amp and speakers will fund this monitor i've just bought.

Not exactly the most sensible perhaps, but I've worked an awful lot of weekends lately and feel like treating myself.

PBirkett, Feb 14, 2006
  9. PBirkett

rodrat

I had an interest period free loan from Clydesdale Finance with the same stinger in the tail. Luckily I was able to pay it off so I did not incur any interest. I found them to be no better or worse than any other loan company. I have to say that these delayed payment schemes should be banned as they are designed to catch out those who are unable to pay the full balance. Fair enough if the interest charged was reasonable but the typical 29.9% plus back interest on the interest free period is taking the ****. You could argue that if you can't afford to pay it off tough luck. However, I think theses schemes are morally iffy.

I will now only by on proper interest free credit.

BTW Paul, it is illegal to describe these deferred payment schemes as interest free so if the retailer sold it to you or advertised it as such, you could contact your local trading standards.

Rod

rodrat, Feb 14, 2006
  10. PBirkett

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

I would edit the title of this thread. If Clydesdale saw this they would make you the crook on grounds of slander (or whatever law applies).

lAmBoY, Feb 15, 2006
  11. PBirkett

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Paul, when you take out HP you must have a date on your phone or in your diary 2 months, 1 months 2 weeks 1 week and then 3 days before its due, its your own fault.

You will now be tied into a contract which will roughly double the cost of the original loan or item, this is how they make money.

garyi, Feb 15, 2006
  12. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Might be an idea... if the mods could be so kind as to take the crooks bit out. That'd be all i would need, and i am sure they'd jump on the chance to make more money out of me. :rolleyes:

PBirkett, Feb 15, 2006
  13. PBirkett

mr cat Member of the month

especially since you've got your real name and location visible for everyone to see... ;)

mr cat, Feb 15, 2006
  14. PBirkett

johnhunt recidivist

paying over the odds for something in these circumtances is at best careless, compalining about it afterwards is stupid

johnhunt, Feb 15, 2006
  15. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Ah, john, the little ray of sunshine in my life :D how did i guess you would be along...

Anyway, not that i have to justify myself to you, but I simply wasnt aware that in this day and age of space travel and instant trasactions that standing order would take so bloody long to get to its destination.

I've learned my lesson.

PBirkett, Feb 15, 2006
  16. PBirkett

Sid and Coke

Rather than send money via standing order do you not have the option of setting up a Direct Debit, that way they get to take the money on an agreed date and you won't need to worry about whether your money is going to get there in time.

If you had a Clydesdale Bank account then i'm pretty sure your payment would ave got there on time , it is just bank to bank that seems to hold things up for a few days, no doubt some banker is making money from your payment whilst it is in cyber limbo......

Pretty silly missing the payments though, but as you've said a lesson learnt.

I recently cashed in an insurance policy that i took out about 5 - 6 years ago with Currys for a home computer. The deal was; if you didn't use the policy within the 5 years you got all your money back. You should have seen the small print and conditions though. You had to use the original documents , and claim forms, no photo copies, only a small window in which to claim,etc. They even insisted that you sent the form to the correct office and then half way fthrough the period changed adresses !
    They weren't sharp enough for Sidney though, I had reminders pinned up all over the place for years, mobile phone calendar, computer calendar, basically everywhere :D

Sid and Coke, Feb 15, 2006
  17. PBirkett

johnhunt recidivist

paul

my pleasure

John

johnhunt, Feb 16, 2006
Ask a Question