Coloured or Neutral Sound Whats your preference

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by rollo, Nov 27, 2007.

1. rollo

andyoz

I think the bottom end of a recording is generally more fairthfull to the source than the top end (just an opinion). So a system should at least try to get that (nearly) right. Most don't. The surface area of twin 15" woofers is probably not far off the surface area of a smal kick drum (???). Remember in nature, only relatively large sources produce low frequency noise "naturally". Also, the dispersion characteristcs of the recorded/reproduced low frequency content is less important when compared to high frequencies.

Comparing that to a 1" tweeter and cymbal diameter. I know it's not that simple but you get the drift. At least a 4" beryllium mid/tweeter driving a horn may be get close in terms of output and dynamics (the dispersion would be way off compared to the original though but you can't have everything).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2007
    andyoz, Nov 28, 2007
  2. rollo

cooky1257

Spot on Andy,
    A grizzled old engineer friend said to me eons ago when referring to the then current flavour for small Linn Kans(no offense intended) type of speakers-"If yer can't play a bass guitar through them how the f*** can they say they can play bass? That made me think, and addicted to large capable, if slightly coloured speakers ever since.

cooky1257, Nov 28, 2007
  3. rollo

titian

I love to hear live classical music. Depending in which concert hall I am, the sound is somewhat different. Sometimes it has a bit of colouration sometimes other sound characteristics are slightly different. This doesn't cause me any problems and as long as these differences make me still believe, that the sound is a realistic one, I don't mind to have them when listening to my hifi system.

titian, Nov 28, 2007
  4. rollo

JohnMak

I'm with Andyoz,
    Give my dynamics by the bucket load. ........ in rock (amplified) music there is no such thing as neutral. The all the players and singers have tone controls and effects units on their systems and we never know how they sounded in the studion .... so what is neutral?

JohnMak, Nov 29, 2007
  5. rollo

Dr Rock

If it doesn't get my feet tapping then it's not doing its job, so whether or not that is neutral or coloured doesn't matter.

Being a bass player I listen to drums and bass alot so if they aren't good, then the sound isn't going to be right full stop.

What Cooky says is true, and as Scotty used to say to Cap'n Kirk: "Ye canna change the laws of physics"...

Dr Rock, Nov 29, 2007
  6. rollo

freefallrob

The only way your going to hear what the artist intended is to be sat in the recording studio or the like.

So I like listening to coloured sound, but coloured in an agreeable way;-)

freefallrob, Nov 30, 2007
  7. rollo

Antony

I'm not so sure..

If a system has a perfectly flat frequency response, perfect phase accuracy, unlimited headroom and zero distortion then it will be neutral. The closer a system approaches these ideals the more neutral it will be. I'd say those criteria were completely objective.

Antony, Nov 30, 2007
  8. rollo

andyoz

Umm,

What about the room effects??

andyoz, Nov 30, 2007
  9. rollo

cooky1257

Yes but sitting on a chair 50ft up a pole in the middle of a windless field at a steady 70 degF in order for the others criteria to mean anything isn't objective is it?

cooky1257, Nov 30, 2007
  10. rollo

Tenson Moderator

I suppose to have perfect phase accuracy and flat frequency response at listening position would mean already that there are zero room effects.

Regards neutrality, I think just because it can not be obtained (at the moment) it doesn't mean we should not strive for it. We just have to know the critical areas to strive for improvement.

Tenson, Nov 30, 2007
  11. rollo

Dev Moderator

Life's too short for that bollox Simon. If you like it, enjoy it:).

Dev, Nov 30, 2007
  12. rollo

Antony

Exactly! Thank you.

Developments in digital technology is moving audio reproduction closer to the ideals of neutrality. There will be no need to sit on outside on a pole.

That said, the topic of this thread is all about subjective choice. So if you enjoy something, then that's all that matters.

I was just taking issue with the idea that neutrality is subjective.

Antony, Dec 1, 2007
  13. rollo

cooky1257

Expanding the notion of 'neutrality' somewhat:)
    The closest I've ever come to what I could call near as damn it neutral(absence of any colourations) was a binaural recording played through my ER4's-all it lacked was the physical experience of sound on the body but switching back to 2 channel stereo over speakers illustrated just how un-neutral(?) our conventional means of reproduction is and how far we have to go.

cooky1257, Dec 1, 2007
  14. rollo

andyoz

How close are we really getting to this though?

I just can't see it happening in a hurry. They can't even get electronic reverb anywhere near the "real" thing yet.

I don't think there will ever be a substitute for a "good" room no matter what the manufacturer's say (just an opinion :))

andyoz, Dec 2, 2007
  15. rollo

rollo

And a good opinion it is. The room is the most important yet overlooked part of the puzzle. In the right room the difference between components IMO is marginal at best.

rollo

rollo, Dec 2, 2007
  16. rollo

andyoz

Here's an example of how non-linear most PA systems for rock music are when they have been EQ'd to the sound engineers liking.:eek:

This is a freq. response plot taken at one of the better sounding medium sized venues in Dublin (L-ACOUSTICS latest top flight rig). The "hot" bottem-end and serious drop off in response after 12kHz are normal. No need for a super tweeter at home then but you better get something bigger than a 6" woofer.

[​IMG]

These should do the trick for home use :eek:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JBL-Studio-Mo...ryZ23786QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2007
    andyoz, Dec 4, 2007
  17. rollo

cooky1257

Hey Andy, I won the auction for £361!!!!! not bad eh?

cooky1257, Dec 10, 2007
  18. rollo

andyoz

andyoz, Dec 10, 2007
  19. rollo

rollo

Now Nirvana can come over and play for you. How quaint. Good luck and enjoy.

rollo

rollo, Dec 10, 2007
  20. rollo

cooky1257

Well, the cabs are a bit rough and so I will be replacing them to create some TM1 copies but will do lots of research on the Lansing forum first.
    A bit of digging is bringing up some interesting facts about who recorded with these particular monitors(Smiths and Clash so far;-)

cooky1257, Dec 10, 2007
Ask a Question