Come on you digitalians!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by sideshowbob, Sep 7, 2003.

1. sideshowbob

nak

sideshowbob,

Check out what Moorgate acoustics have second hand, www.moorgate.demon.co.uk

thay have a "SH Arcam, fMJ CD23 HDCD player £799".

I've never heard one and the price is a little high but you could haggle. :D

chris

nak, Sep 8, 2003
  2. sideshowbob

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I have to Say Garyi came round yesterday, and agreed mana is not the way to go :eek: WM

wadia-miester, Sep 8, 2003
  3. sideshowbob

julian2002 Muper Soderator

ian,
    i've never heard a 506.24 before however as you liked the meridian sound before it seemed like a good choice. see if central do a 2 week trial although if you buy mail order you are alowed to return it for a full refund if not fully satisfied - but check this for 2nd hand stuff beforehand.

as for supports making a difference. i'm with bub on this one in that i have found that they can make an enourmous difference to the sound of what you put on them. of course whether you enjoy that difference is another thing entirely but in trying various stand types i've definately heard changes to the sound and presentation of kit.

as for the cd5 not being as nice as the cd3.5 from what i've heard the reverse is true the 3.5 is a bit fiesty and boistrous whilst the 5 is nicer and more refined. however having not heard a 3.5 in anger i don;t feel qualified to comment other than relay anecdotal evidence.

after hearing a few different power cables on my 250 i must say i'm not straining at the leash to try any more as they all made it sound slightly worse imho.

cheers

julian

julian2002, Sep 8, 2003
  4. sideshowbob

The Devil IHTFP

So two Mana-sceptics agree? Hold the front page.

How did you reach this conclusion for him, Tony?

The Devil, Sep 8, 2003
  5. sideshowbob

mick parry stroppy old git

Sweeping statements

Bub

You said......" The seismic sink is a total waste of space & money."

That is a sweeping statement and patently untrue.

The Seismic Sink totally trashed the Mana table under my CD3.5. I believe it has had similar effects under the CD3 and the old CDX.

Evidently it is not so good under the new range off Naim kit because of the improved isolation.

Both the Mana and the Seismic affected the sound of my CDS2 in a way neither Mrs Mick nor I liked, hence we will continue with Hutter.

One needs to experiment somewhat.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Sep 8, 2003
  6. sideshowbob

The Devil IHTFP

Heard Hutter. :eek:

The Devil, Sep 8, 2003
  7. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Trisha

Oi, this is my thread and I will take umbrage if it turns into a stand war, unless I start it that is.

My last word on the subject: I'm sure people are hearing real effects when they try different stands. I have no view, having never done the experiments. I am skeptical, but prepared to be proved wrong, one day, when I actually get round to hearing some Mana'd, Seismic'd, Hutter'd etc systems. I'm quite keen to hear Bub's big ATCs, and will cheekily invite myself round next time I'm in Glasgow (don't worry Bub, I haven't been to Glasgow for at least a decade, so you're in no danger that it's likely to be soon).

Even if I had stand x, I still need a CDP to put on it. So, back to the main topic.

Julian: I've dealt with central audio a few times. A nice enough guy, but I don't think he's keen on home trials unless it's for something he's having problems shifting. Having said that, I've never asked him directly, so I'll give it a go and see how accomodating he is.

On reflection, I don't want to end up buying and selling on if I can avoid it, since it isn't easy to sell anything ATM, so, it's looking increasingly like the best place to start is with two dealers I know I can get decent longish home demos from, Walrus and Cornflake. That covers Sonneteer, possibly Audio Note, Creek, Rega, and the Naim CD5. The Meridian is possible if I can get it SOR. WM has kindly offered a trial of something he's playing with. Anybody else want to lend me their players for a week or two? :D

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Sep 8, 2003
  8. sideshowbob

The Devil IHTFP

Hi Ian, yes quite right, I shall say no more. Yes come up if you would like, your philosophy is quite similar to mine.

Sorry don't know much about CD players, other than they are mostly much of a muchness. Choose the one that sounds least hopeless!

The Devil, Sep 8, 2003
  9. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Trisha

Cheers Bub, "least hopeless" sounds about right.

Will take you up on my kind offer :D to come round to yours one day.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Sep 8, 2003
  10. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Trisha

A quick word with Les at Walrus and I'll have a Sonneteer Byron to play with at home for 4 or 5 days sometime this week (they don't have the Bronte in stock). They have Rega as well, so I'll give that a go after the Sonneteer. Then to Cornflake for Creek and Naim.

It appears Audio Note have, as I thought, fallen out with all of their dealers and now only sell direct, so scrub that idea. Shame, I'd like to hear one of these one day.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Sep 8, 2003
  11. sideshowbob

HenryT

Densen sounds like a good bet to me mate. Air guitair (or air conducting) without the jack hammer! :)

This reminds me, I got a whole load of promotional paperwork and pricelists from Audusa with my recent order of Eupens. There was a sheet of quotes from letter written by happy customers who purchased Eupen power kords. There was a quote from a letter written by a certain Mr M Brown of Portugual. ;)

HenryT, Sep 8, 2003
  12. sideshowbob

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Try contacting the guys at ICON as well mate.

They definately do SOR, cos I asked them.

Nice construction inside CDP, tube output, upsampling , improved caps and such like.. definately worth a borrow.

A marantz on tubefied nitrous oxide!
    it was about £600 I seem to recall.

NNB
    If you're going to the heathrow show, thats where I heard it last year, they may be there again.

bottleneck, Sep 8, 2003
  13. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Trisha

Good point. I'd forgotten that was coming up soon. When is it?

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Sep 8, 2003
  14. sideshowbob

julian2002 Muper Soderator

27th / 28th sept are the public days i believe.. buy your copy of hi-fi news for a free ticket now!! see you there.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Sep 8, 2003
  15. sideshowbob

cant remember! soz.

PM dean, he's going on the Sunday I seem to recall.

NB - if you're going you normally get a free ticket in HIFI+ prior to the event

Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, Sep 8, 2003
  16. sideshowbob

Graham C

I'd like to know what Densen are doing with all the traded in B400 CD players.
    AFAIK, the offer to trade in an old B400 for a new 400XS [+ the diff] still stands unofficially - so where are all the old ones going?

I tried the new one and preferred my old B400. However, I think there must be some very different B400s about, judging by the love/hate comments it got. I think a B400 like mine could be right up your street Ian, but some B400s are said to be excessively truculent.

cheers,

Graham C

Graham C, Sep 8, 2003
  17. sideshowbob

Lawrie

Keepin' it real, right here in Lawrieville.

Chaps,

Just reading Henry's comments above can someone explain to me how simply changing a clock and PSU in a CDP/transport can make the sort of improvements that Henry is describing? Now, I am assuming that no modifications were done to the "analogue stage" of the player and that only the clock and PSU were changed. Correct?

Moving on swiftly,:D if such a clock change were done on a modern upsampling 24/192kHz one-box CD player (I don't own one btw:D) without any changes to the analogue stage, would the change in sound be of the magnitude that Henry is describing?

Basically, I'm just trying to find out two things. The first is: was the improvement that Henry described the result of an old player being given a makeover hence the reported improvement in sound (possibly due to an inferior clock)? The second is: as CDP technology and no doubt clock quality on modern upsampling players have improved so much, is there anything that those Trichord and Audiocom clocks can do that the manufacturers' clocks in post year 2000 CD players can't or don't do? Your's in curiosity.:D

Sideshowbob - with GBP 700.00 to burn, step off the beaten track and check-out the 24/192 upsampling AH! Njoe Tjoeb CD4000 CDP distributed in the U.K. by ICON Audio. It is one musical player. Audiophiles would by nature avoid such a product but for music lovers, it delivers the musical goods.:D See some comments here: http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/tjoeb4000_e.html & http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2002/0306.html Since these reviews were done, there is now a 24/192kHz DAC board available.

Enjoy the music!!

Lawrie:D

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2003
    Lawrie, Sep 8, 2003
  18. sideshowbob

timpy Snake Oil free!!!

Lawrie

Maybe the analogue stage wasn't rebuilt due the fact the Accuphase is a Transport and not a player :) you being a keen follower of high end equipment and exoctica, I would have thought that you've grasped that one .... never mind easy mistake.

Maybe the clocks are only a part of the story, and not the single reason why Henry's Accuphase is sounding rather good, besides the best clocks in the world are still only average, if it's given dirty unregulated juice, but I have a feeling with all your stateside contacts, you will have known this.

Maybe your just trying to assertain whether your Copland would benefit from an uplift, you could ask Martin Colloms as he has just had his done, and is most pleased with the results.
    Those that have heard the transformations are more than happy with the results.
    We hope your M/F trivista Dac audition goes well and arn't they cheap? £1200 stunning value I feel. A prefect choice for you Lawrie. Good to see you posting here again :)

yours
    The Gruesome Twosome

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2003
    timpy, Sep 8, 2003
  19. sideshowbob

Robbo

err Timpy,

That post doesnt seem like you. are you feeling OK today? Or is it WM in disguise:D

Robbo, Sep 8, 2003
  20. sideshowbob

meooowwwwwwwww screeeeeech mmmrrooowwwww meeeoooeewwwww screeetchhhhhh

:force:

bottleneck, Sep 8, 2003
Ask a Question