Commitments @ Cheltenham Centaur

Discussion in 'General Music' started by wadia-miester, May 8, 2005.

1. wadia-miester

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Cheltenhams new venue gave host to the 'Hardest working band in the world' last nite.
    The New look Commitments kicked off their the European tour with the this performance.
    The Commitments
    3 or the orginal memebers of the Film with some great replacements for the rest of the cast played their hearts our last nite.
    Just a shame the sound system was so F-U-C-K-I-N-G dire that you couldn't hear a sodding thing.
    Great bunch of musicains spolit by a truely crap sound, acoustics in the Centaur bring a new meaning knightmare sound.
    The support act the Chip-shop boys did a sterling job in getting the crowd going even though their sound was worse. Shame It would have been a cracking gig otherwise

wadia-miester, May 8, 2005
  2. wadia-miester

Mr_Sukebe

So what you're saying is that we should ditch our systems and replace them with midi units to give us that "real life accurate sound".

Maybe Yamaha can add a new "venue" setting to it's AV amps, i.e. "bloody awful".

Sorry, feeling a little negative today, divorce for you.

Mr_Sukebe, May 8, 2005
  3. wadia-miester

Mike,
    No problem sir I can sympathise last one cost me £400K so I understand :)
    TheGuys in the band played the socks off, problem was, you could not understand a thing they were singing unless you were 4 rows from the front.
    Mixing engineer was a total Tosser, has absolutley no idea, the aousctics in the centuar are not best suited to amplified music LOL.
    Needed sheets or something above the stage, no top end, all drums, and the vocals so muddled its was diabolical.
    I've been to over 120 gigs in my time, and even the Lafayette club in Wolverhampton has better acoutics
    Nothing to be taken away from the bands though who did a sterling job :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2005
    wadia-miester, May 8, 2005
  4. wadia-miester

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I found the same at the Joanna Newsome gig in Bristol last MOnth.

The musicians were great, but the sound was crap. The system seemed underpowered. Loads of feed back, topping out, and general pants.

It's a shame when you can see that the acts are obviously playing well, but are being let down by crap venues and systems.

MO!, May 8, 2005
  5. wadia-miester

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

Sounds like a good night. Shame about the sound though. On the opposite end of the scale, saw Eugene Hideaway Bridges at the Phoenix here in Exeter last Friday and the house PA didn't let them down. Got to be one of the best venue systems there is in a place of its size. Eugene's gig was great too, playing with a new band which recorded his latest CD, they were also joined by American guitarist Rocky Athas, who's band were used, so some excellent guitarwork on display. If you ever get the chance to see either of these guys, go, you will not be disappointed.

www.eugenebridges.com
    www.rockyathas.com

ilockyer, May 10, 2005
  6. wadia-miester

Ian,
    Yes a great gig spolit, shame really.
    Eugene played the Glos blues festival last year, even did an impromtu encore on the Sunday afternoon for 2 hours, the guys pretty cool. T.

wadia-miester, May 10, 2005
  7. wadia-miester

Snoopdog

Tony,

Did you get to see Imelda Quirk's knickers? :D

Snoopdog, May 11, 2005
  8. wadia-miester

Unfortunatley Steve, none of the girls from the film are in the tour.

wadia-miester, May 11, 2005
Ask a Question