computer as source

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by oceanobsession, Jan 28, 2008.

1. oceanobsession

oceanobsession

Hi all. i currently own a rotel preamp rc972. also a rotel power amp rb981. with an arcam cd192. and a pair of shahinian arcs. im more than happy with the sound but im thinking of using a computer as a source. at present i would have to burn tracks onto a disc then play that disc on the cd player. but im told that if you play straight from the hard drive its better. is this true also if i were buying a computer for this purpose what would i buy big external hard drive etc do i need a dac or do i buy a sound card help needed with this cheers oceanobsessionl

oceanobsession, Jan 28, 2008
  2. oceanobsession

hifi addict

Another plug for Firestone Audio. I can say that i have heard the Firestone USB DAC and it was very good. Well worth a try.

Again it ABC Audio.

http://www.abc-audio.co.uk

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think its about £100.

hifi addict, Jan 28, 2008
  3. oceanobsession

kmac

https://www.audio-forums.com/as-rediect/showthread.php?t=17766&highlight=mini

See this thread. if you use your computer as a hard disc you can:

1) Use a soundcard and plug this into an amp

2) Use a soundcard with digital out and plug that into a DAC

3) Connect wirelessly/wired to a Squeezebox and plug that into you amp

4) Connect wirelessly/wired to a Squeezebox and plug that into a separate DAC

etc....

kmac, Jan 29, 2008
Ask a Question