Computer Audio Bake-Off

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Richard Dunn, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Richard Dunn

Richard Dunn

No, I am afraid you will have to talk to him at Subjectivist. And I hope you understand him, all this computer jargon just turns me crosseyed.

But the proof of all puddings is in the eating, and my first course was very good.

Richard Dunn, Jul 22, 2010
  2. Richard Dunn

hubsand Item Audio

Richard: you really are using this forum to promote the new Figlet-inside £2000 NVA music server!

That makes so much more sense than you not noticing the obvious and well documented shortcomings of a £125 soundcard. I misjudged you: I honestly thought you were suffering from hearing loss . . . not a bit of it: you were playing the crowd. And very well, may I add: you totally got me.

Really, really special way to promote a double-standard, though.

I've not 'dissed' anything: I've been consistently transparent in my views: I didn't find the KingRex UD-01 SE (which I sell) appealing in that context, or the Cambridge DAC. I though the Xonar was surprisingly good, with evident flaws, and obviously the expensive DAC (which I don't sell) sounded best on the day. Not very controversial at all and only a tiny bit biased. “Every man likes the smell of his own farts” (Icelandic proverb, not a personal comment).

hubsand, Jul 22, 2010
  3. Richard Dunn

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Which was the very expensive dac?

Purite Audio, Jul 22, 2010
  4. Richard Dunn

Richard Dunn

This is complete bollocks and he doesn't mention the six posts of his I had to bin, which is why he is now doing it here.

5. Richard Dunn

hubsand Item Audio

Well, expensive in this context: it's an Audiocom-modded Benchmark DAC1: about £900 on top of the price of the stock unit. Via XLR (where the Bybees live) it's a touch more truthful/analytical than the £1250 Wyred 4 Sound DAC2. Over un-Bybee'd RCA, there's not a lot to choose between them.

So much depends on the input: 24/192 is excellent over USB on the DAC2, but the Benchmark sings when fed AES/EBU.

hubsand, Jul 22, 2010
  6. Richard Dunn

hubsand Item Audio

Indeed, you gagged the merest hint of (tactfully expressed) candour on your own forum: that's the prerogative of a vanity project, and the habit of a tyrant. I won't debate further with you.

hubsand, Jul 22, 2010
  7. Richard Dunn

flatpopely Trade - AudioFlat

It may be bollocks or not, but from the outside one can see his POV. Bake off organised, best in class declared, best in class now a business opportunity.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2010
    flatpopely, Jul 22, 2010
  8. Richard Dunn

Richard Dunn

Mods - you make a big thing of not bringing arguments from other forums the last few pages have been just that!

9. Richard Dunn

DrMartin

And so the now familiar pattern emerges once again ....

DrMartin, Jul 22, 2010
  10. Richard Dunn

Well the bake off was announced on here as well so comments about the results and aftermath should be expected on here! Otherwise why use ZG to promote it?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2010
    flatpopely, Jul 22, 2010
  11. Richard Dunn

hubsand Item Audio

We published the Version 1 recipe on our site about a year ago. Version 2 will be along shortly . . . although you can buy our DAT1, you can also build it yourself by following the recipe: no charge: spreading the joy.

For Linux, we favour Ubuntu / ALSA / Songbird.

For Windows the driver combination depends on the output, but always JRiver Media Centre running in Memory Play mode. I'm not saying it's the ultimate player in sonic terms, but I believe it's the best, useable one.

Jason was running this software configuration on Saturday. In fact, purely as a transport, Jason (Figlet)'s PC was really uncompromised. If NVA puts it into production they'll probably pair it with a much better DAC: either the RME or Lynx card or an offboard one with separate supply.

hubsand, Jul 22, 2010
  12. Richard Dunn

RobHolt Moderator

Difficult not to refer to the thread on Subjectivist in this case as the subject runs tandem with this, but please leave the arguments there.

Those at the event with have formed their own opinions and they should bank them and move on. If they came away entirely happy with the kit they own and feeling no desire to change (me) then great. If they heard something of interest and wish to develop that into a project (Richard) then again great.
    Those bringing a range of kit (Mark) got the chance to give everyone a preview and that too is fine.

We've all now heard more kit than this time last week, met a few more enthusiasts and eaten Richards excellent curry :)

RobHolt, Jul 22, 2010
  13. Richard Dunn

Richard Dunn

Exactly!

14. Richard Dunn

muz640

What speakers were used for this bake off?

muz640, Jul 22, 2010
  15. Richard Dunn

Richard Dunn

NVA Cubix

[​IMG]

16. Richard Dunn

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

You felt it was appropriate to entirely delete six posts! That must make yours one of the most heavily censored forums available.

YNMOAN, Jul 22, 2010
  17. Richard Dunn

Mescalito

Look, Richard is a past master at viral marketing. No one should be suprised if he uses fora to further his aims. Live with it.

Chris

Mescalito, Jul 22, 2010
  18. Richard Dunn

Oh the irony of it all.

flatpopely, Jul 22, 2010
  19. Richard Dunn

DrMartin

I think you've misunderstood what I was getting at here. It was about appeals to moderators in particular circumstances by a particular 'person'.

DrMartin, Jul 22, 2010
  20. Richard Dunn

muz640

Thanks, very interesting, are some of the drivers passive radiators ?

Interesting the results of the bake off too, everyone having different preferences to what sounded best (of more accurately what they liked the most!).

I think a lot of people are making computer audio unnecessarily complicated, a computer (maybe some kind of interface like a hiface) and a dac and your done!

muz640, Jul 22, 2010
Ask a Question