Computer Audio - which software player?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by RobHolt, Jun 24, 2010.

1. RobHolt

jcbrum Black Bottom fan

EAC is not necessary with iTunes.

jcbrum, Jul 28, 2010
  2. RobHolt

Basil

iTunes along with WMP are both works of the devil and neither are necessary using squeexebox.

I just rip to a separate HD on the PC, point squeezeserver at it, and it just works.

Basil, Jul 28, 2010
  3. RobHolt

jcbrum Black Bottom fan

Squeezserver isn't necessary to use iTunes either, and I agree about WMP.

Itunes will play from a squeeze library, and squeeze will play from an iTunes library.

If you already have a computer, iTunes is a free download, and requires no costly external box like a squeeze-box. It sounds better too. :)

JC.

jcbrum, Jul 28, 2010
  4. RobHolt

browellm

Exceptionally risky strategy. The iTunes db can, and regularly does corrupt. At which point it's bye bye tags. If you insist on storing your files uncompressed, at least use AIFF, and tag them properly.

browellm, Jul 28, 2010
  5. RobHolt

browellm

iTunes is a software player that passes the PCM to a souncard, or external DAC. It doesn't have a "sound".

The whole point of SB is to provide a thin client that dissociates the computer from the listening room, providing multi-room capability if needed.

browellm, Jul 28, 2010
  6. RobHolt

jcbrum Black Bottom fan

browellm, I can't agree with you on iTunes regular corruption. I suggest you may have defective equipment, but might not realise it.

My comment re: iTunes sound quality is that it sounds better than a squeezebox on squeeze server.

I have a MacBookPro driving AVI speakers through an Airport Express, but also use an RME Fireface, and Windows PC's. They are all better than a sqeezebox imo.

I have no wish to disassociate my computers from the listening room since they are all silent anyway, and my preferred method is a wireless laptop running iTunes.

Multi room capability is a standard feature of iTunes running on OS X. Any machine on a network will share any library on any machine with any or multiple rooms.

I agree Aiff is preferable to Wav, but atm i use alac which seems the best deal.

JC.

jcbrum, Jul 29, 2010
  7. RobHolt

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

3 years of itunes never had a database loss.

sq225917, Jul 29, 2010
  8. RobHolt

Labarum

I have read comments in various places that iTunes misbehaves in Windows when the database gets too big. There is no problem in OSX.

Why? Both are capable of delivering a bit perfect stream to the DAC.

Labarum, Jul 29, 2010
  9. RobHolt

jcbrum Black Bottom fan

As far as I'm concerned Windows itself is one big defect :) that's why they send you updates, seemingly about twice every day :)

You're probably right Brian, I haven't tried the newer squeezebox stuff, but I didn't like the earlier kit.

JC.

jcbrum, Jul 29, 2010
  10. RobHolt

Dev Moderator

JC, I've deleted one of your posts. I don't think an explanation is necessary, I'm sure it's obvious to you.

Dev, Jul 29, 2010
  11. RobHolt

liucan

I use 'Potamus' on Ubuntu as music player and 'goobox', preset to FLAC level 8, for ripping CDs. Don't see the point in all this tagging and indexing of files when a simple '/Music/Genre/Artist/Album' folder structure is more flexible.

liucan, Jul 29, 2010
  12. RobHolt

Basil

Exactly, a much easier solution than either itunes or WMP. I can find whatever I want in seconds via winamp on the PC or squeezebox on the main hi-fi.

Not in my 10 years experience using it, updates one a month.

Basil, Jul 29, 2010
  13. RobHolt

browellm

Good, I'm pleased for you. But at least aknowledge that it does happen to others, if that's your entire tagging schema, you're screwed.

jcbrum, I'm sure you don't mean to be patronising but it sure comes across like that. I'll leave you to enjoy your setup.

browellm, Jul 29, 2010
  14. RobHolt

jcbrum Black Bottom fan

Sorry you feel that way browellm, but your experience with iTunes is not the norm as others have testified.

I am sure it's not any defect in iTunes, but may be a Windows issue, or an equipment problem.

I am merely pointing out that on this point you may be mistaken, and that your earlier comment might be an uninformed erroneous conclusion.

No offence is intended. :)

JC.

jcbrum, Jul 30, 2010
  15. RobHolt

doug2507

Well i've been using itunes for years on both pc and mac (last year mac only) and i've never had any corruption problems.....

doug2507, Jul 30, 2010
  16. RobHolt

jcbrum Black Bottom fan

Browellm, It is puzzling that you should suffer database corruption with iTunes.

I have seen situations where the library is comprised of tunes which are stored in several different locations on various hard disks.

Then, if a disk is replaced, or the directory structure is modified, the library link to the file location gets broken, and iTunes can no longer find the file.

The remedy is to consolidate the library regularly, and especially before making changes. This process copies any remote files to the main library, so it then doesn't matter if they get moved or lost. There is a menu option to consolidate.

This can be avoided altogether by the preference setting which says always copy a tune to the library. Then you don't get broken links, because iTunes never needs to play remote location files.

JC.

jcbrum, Jul 30, 2010
  17. RobHolt

browellm

Thanks for the tip. I don't use itunes, but I'm sure those that do will find it useful.

One small point, I don't think a sample size of two (not had a problem) is statistically significant. If you cast your net a little wider with a quick search, there *are* examples of iTunes database corruption, on both platforms. It's a database! If you can show me a database guaranteed never to corrupt, let's go and pocket the cash and we'll live happily ever after!

browellm, Jul 30, 2010
  18. RobHolt

Purite Audio Purite Audio

As much as I dislike agreeing with JC! I haven't heard of any major problems with Itunes, customers have had problems when libraries haven't been consolidated etc.
    Keith.

Purite Audio, Jul 30, 2010
  19. RobHolt

jcbrum Black Bottom fan

Hee Hee :) So you admit you only disagree with me as a matter of principal, ...

..... nothing to do with the facts then ........... :)

JC.

jcbrum, Jul 30, 2010
  20. RobHolt

Purite Audio Purite Audio

You were right about Apple!
    VB Keith.

Purite Audio, Jul 30, 2010
Ask a Question