Computer based music replay

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by The Devil, Sep 5, 2009.

1. The Devil

GTU

Hi Keith,

In time I will. I'm just doing small steps at the moment. Eventually I will probably go with a NAS. I will most likely sell my Ikemi if I think the sound is comparable.

Cheers

Graham

GTU, Sep 9, 2009
  2. The Devil

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Graham Hi, I would definitely go uncompressed, and it will make the comparison with your CDP fair of course,
    Keith.

Purite Audio, Sep 9, 2009
  3. The Devil

0neofakind

I have heard from many people that Macs are the way to go for audio. I'm still on a PC but I've heard enough to know that Macs are the key for audio!

0neofakind, Sep 9, 2009
  4. The Devil

RobHolt Moderator

Hi Graham,

Yes I do.
    The analogue output from the AE is quite reasonable but a decent dac will certainly be better.

320kbs can also sound excellent so don't worry too much that these existing files aren't lossless, however I'd agree with Keith and advise to use Apple Lossless from here on.

RobHolt, Sep 9, 2009
  5. The Devil

Dick Bowman

When you buy a Mac, is there a special deal that gets you a rebate on the price depending how often you say "I've got a Mac and it's super"?

It's a computer - it runs software - you use it by pointing at things and making clicking noises. Last time I looked it seemed like a tarted-up version of Unix runing on some interior-designer-designed hardware.

Dick Bowman, Sep 10, 2009
  6. The Devil

GTU

Hi Rob,

Thank you for your reply. I take it that I need a mini-to-optical digital Toslink audio cable from the Airport Express into the MF V-DAC.

Cheers

Graham

GTU, Sep 10, 2009
  7. The Devil

RobHolt Moderator

Yup - or a mini jack adaptor if you have an existing standard optical cable. £1.99 on ebay.

RobHolt, Sep 10, 2009
  8. The Devil

Setting Son

James,

Rob is right. Mac & Dac.

Your kids may think you uncool but I'll bet they use the Mac more and more.......maybe when you're not looking!

So iTunes is the dominant music software. This is for a very good reason - it does what it says on the tin without the faffing about. Use Apple Lossless format for good sound quality. For back-up get an Apple Time Capsule - back-up done in the background. It really is easy (must be; I managed to get it working!) I'd be happy to help with the setting up.

Hope you are keeping well, btw.

Best,

Lee

Setting Son, Sep 11, 2009
  9. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

Hi Lee,

Sorry, missed this with all the noises off.

Yes, I am fine thanks, and thanks for the advice. I think I'll schlep down to the local Naim dealer, have a listen to the new DAC, see what they have to say about it all, and work it out on the back of an envelope.

Rgds,

The Devil, Sep 13, 2009
  10. The Devil

Setting Son

The new DAC is the only product from Salisbury that has interested me in years. Be good to read your thoughts on it when you've had a listen.

Setting Son, Sep 13, 2009
  11. The Devil

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

i have a mac and it's not super, the airport express doesn't stream without drop outs to my dac, (all the AE i've tried suffer this fail) and Apple have just totally screwed up the sound quality by fucking with something in itunes 9.

sq225917, Sep 18, 2009
  12. The Devil

SteveS1

What have they done? iTunes Sounds fine to me but I don't use AE.

SteveS1, Sep 18, 2009
  13. The Devil

Setting Son

Bill G is waiting for you with open arms.

Setting Son, Sep 18, 2009
  14. The Devil

GTU

Hi,

Thought i'd post some of my thoughts.

I purchased an Apple MacBook Pro, an external HDD and a Musical Fidelity V-Dac. I tried originally streaming my 320 Kbs AAC to an Apple Airport Express into Linn Klimax Kontrol and Klimax Solo 500's driving Shahinian Arcs via my PC. Quite impressed by the result. In fact I would say it was very good. I then added the V-Dac. A further improvement. I then ripped some CD's to Apple Lossless. The result was at least equal to my Linn Ikemi. This convinced me to buy the MacBook Pro. Got a couple of hundred pound off by Educational discount, just about applicable to everyone. Call Apple as you get more off than advertised on their website.

When it arrived I loved the look and feel. I'm a sucker like that!! However, at this point I lost my broadband. After two weeks it was finally sorted. Started ripping CD's to the Mac using ALAC. I have now loaded about 100, just another 500 to go!!!. Result: very impressed and happy. It is at least the equal of the Ikemi. I can't quantify the result in terms of "this, that and another" like others can. I never have. It either sounds better or not, or I prefer this to that, to my ears.
    I have had not drop outs and I'm streaming to two AE. The Ikemi is now for sale and will pay for the Mac. Very happy bunny.

Cheers

Graham

PS

Can I some how transfer the music to my iPod as 320 AAC from the ripped lossless?

GTU, Oct 12, 2009
  15. The Devil

GTU Hi, I believe you would get even better SQ, if you connected the MBP directly to your dac, and you would be able to play hi-res ( is the v-dac capable of higher res?)
    Also try the firewire protocol with an Apogee/Weiss or metric Halo, or a firewire/aes interface, another big step up imho.Keith.

Purite Audio, Oct 12, 2009
  16. The Devil

GTU

Hi Keith,

One step at a time!

I'll give connecting to the V-Dac a try. At the moment I'm just ripping. The sound is much better than I expected.

Cheers

Graham

GTU, Oct 12, 2009
  17. The Devil

Graham Hi, you are right one step at a time, enjoy.
    Keith.

18. The Devil

lbr monkey boy

Given that firewire (arguably) seems to be on its last legs as a mass market proposition, buying a DAC on the back of firewire connectivity could be a risky move. You may find that when your computer needs replacing in a few years you are not able to easily replace the firewire port, rendering the DAC obsolete in the process. Just conjecture, but why take the risk? If I were moving into computer audio now I would stick with USB which is ubiquitous, or better yet the standard audio ports (coax, optical, aes/ebu) and take my pick from a much wider selection of DACs.

lbr, Oct 12, 2009
  19. The Devil

LBR firewire and async USB have the advantage that they have no embedded timing signal, so the DAC has complete control of the draw of data, not saying that (ordinary ) USB can't be designed and implemented well .
    Keith.

20. The Devil

lbr monkey boy

For me, asynchronous USB would be the better of the two options (something like the Wavelength converter), but I'd still be worried about driver support into the future. Depends how big an issue you think it is, and whether your DAC has a clock output of course.

lbr, Oct 12, 2009
Ask a Question