Computer source bake-off

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tenson, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Would there be some interest in a bake-off to demonstrate some different methods of computer audio sources?

I'd don't have all the kit to do it, but maybe members can bring examples.

There is the computer driving a dac, controlled by an iPhone or other internet mobile device. Possibly the computer is connected to the DAC wirelessly.

A streaming device in the hi-fi that takes the data directly from the network.

A netbook or tablet PC with the music data on its own internal drive and streaming wirelessly to a DAC.

Hi-Fi dedicated music server / player like the Linn Sneaky or Naim HDX.

There are so many ways to skin this cat (poor thing) and I'm often impressed when I see a well implemented setup running. I'm not focusing on sound quality so much here but rather the general implementation and how they function.

Personally I run a touch screen netbook with a big hard disk to store all the music inside, and it streams the music to my DAC via an Airport Express. I like this solution because I don't need to have a separate NAS drive or similar holding all my music, I can simply pick up the netbook and carry it to a friends and all my music is there, I can also use any app like Spotify since it is a proper computer. Having said that an HDX controlled by an iPad is an awesome user interface experience.

Tenson, Apr 1, 2011
  2. Tenson

jonesi

Do participants get to hear the new Kensai + Advantage combo ;)

I use a PC / HiFace / DAC interface to my Hi-Fi.

I use Spotify mostly followed by Foobar2000. If Spotify start to support FLAC then Foobar may become redundant. The Foobar interface is not pretty but it's functional and I like it.

jonesi, Apr 5, 2011
  3. Tenson

flatpopely Trade - AudioFlat

I would not mind bringing my simple PC + Audigy 2NX external soundcard. To me it sounds good but it would be good to hear it against some 'real' digital audio sources.

flatpopely, Apr 5, 2011
  4. Tenson

ItemAudio Trade

Wow . . . I turn my back and everything is differented. Hello Audiosmile!

We've just published our new 2011 audio computer recipes for DIYers, and one of the big shifts since our 2009 recommendations is that it's all about headless operation, thanks to excellence and low cost of commonly available tablets, and cute apps for smartphones:
    http://www.itemaudio.co.uk/media_server_pc.html

Depending on when you were looking to organise something, I might be able to bring one or more machines based on those recipes, along with one of our own boxes.

ItemAudio, May 3, 2011
  5. Tenson

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Hi Simon,

I would be interested in coming along

Tony

wadia-miester, May 3, 2011
  6. Tenson

Mr_Sukebe

I'm interested in being involved. Can bring along a laptop/SB Touch combo.

Mr_Sukebe, May 3, 2011
  7. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

So far 3 of the interested people are trade members, so I'm not sure it is really of much worth to do the bake-off. I'd prefer it to be a member event since there will be limited room., maybe 5 people max.

SB Touch is interesting.

Rob now has a new iPhone that can stream directly to an Airport Express so that is another interesting option, especially with another PC serving the music with Home Sharing.

I've got my touch screen netbook repaired and works as a music server and remote control in one.

Any other good options to try, or maybe three is enough? As I said I'm more interested in the interface and working method than the sound since all digital sources sound similar IMO. If we delay a while I should have some Advantage to play with too.

Tenson, May 5, 2011
  8. Tenson

flatpopely Trade - AudioFlat

I am trade but have no TRADE interest in digital audio. I just wanted to hear what I consider something that sounds pretty good against other equipment.

flatpopely, May 9, 2011
  9. Tenson

RobHolt Moderator

Andrew, Ian and Mike - there you go Simon.

RobHolt, May 9, 2011
  10. Tenson

Dev Moderator

Depending on the date, I can come along to make up the numbers.

Dev, May 9, 2011
  11. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Okay, well it looks like there are a few interested then. How about a date in July? It would need to be at Rob's place in Walthamstow, London, E17.

I had a listening room set up at my fathers place big enough for a few people but he is selling the place, and my normal listening room is big enough for one person only.

Tenson, May 12, 2011
  12. Tenson

Mr_Sukebe

July is fine by me.
    Just to sanity check the objectives. Are you trying to confirm usability/functionality, sound quality or both?

What will be the partnering kit available?

Mr_Sukebe, May 12, 2011
  13. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

I'm more interested in function than sound quality, since most options simply connect to a DAC and sound like the DAC!

Partnering equipment is likely to be an AudioSmile DEQ2496 DAC with the latest mods, a pre-amp of some sort and a pair of active speakers. Lots of equipment will be available though since Rob's house is full of it! Active speakers mean if the solution can connect directly, then that option is possible.

Tenson, May 12, 2011
Ask a Question