connecting sub to stereo amp

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by rockhopper, Mar 13, 2006.

1. rockhopper

rockhopper

Hi all,

Can anyone please help me in connecting my sub to my stereo amp?

The amp has one set of pre-outs, but i've tried this (to the subs phono inputs) and it doesnt work right.

The sub has no speaker connections (its a BK XLS200), just a Gas Tight Neutrik connection, and phonos.:confused:

Alternatively, I could use the normal sub connection on my AV amp, but for the moment i'm only using stereo, and would like to eliminate the AV side for now.

Please help:)

rockhopper, Mar 13, 2006
  2. rockhopper

avanzato

What's not working right with the preout to phono connection as that's the easiest way to do it? The Neutrik Speakon connects to the amplifier speaker outputs using a cable that comes with the BK sub, was it missing?

avanzato, Mar 13, 2006
  3. rockhopper

rockhopper

Thanks for the reply,

No, the Neutrik is present, i just havent tried it as yet (its in the garage in its box). My amp only has one set of speaker connections - would it still be possible? If so, how?

Regarding the preout > phono method, the sub just seemed to pick up the whole frequency range rather than just the low notes. Sounded awful. I did try adjusting the frequency/volume controls on the sub, but it still sounded bad.

rockhopper, Mar 13, 2006
  4. rockhopper

avanzato

The Neutrik has 3 wires that you connect to the same binding posts as the speaker uses. Check the manual as to which wires go where, I have an older BK amp panel so my manual might be different to yours.

Phono or Neutrik, either way you'll have the sub receiving the full frequency range and filtering it internally with the controls in the sub.

IME you can't get the controls set perfectly first time and I usually make small adjustments over a week or more to get them right. When I've measured afterwards I've usually been spot on.

What speakers is it being used with?

avanzato, Mar 13, 2006
  5. rockhopper

rockhopper

Thanks,

3 wires? Seems unusual - i'll check my manual later.

I'll also try the phono method again and lower the frequency control more. Maybe its the subs positioning thats making it sound bad. I'll have a proper experiment when I get around to it.

The speakers are Epos M5s - having changed from MS 906s (twin mid-bass drivers), I now miss the low bass notes.

I changed to a stand-mount design as the floorstanders didnt have enough room to breathe. The Epos are far better all round, it's just the low bass I miss.

rockhopper, Mar 13, 2006
  6. rockhopper

liamjf

7. rockhopper

technobear Ursine Audiophile

In other words, if you have the frequency control set to its highest setting then no filtering is performed (the amp is expected to do it).

For music you will almost certainly want the frequency control at the lowest setting.

technobear, Mar 13, 2006
Ask a Question