connecting TV/DVD/VCR/Digibox

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by rockhopper, Nov 17, 2005.

1. rockhopper

rockhopper

quite an embarrasing situation here - im having difficulty setting up my GFs mother's tele!

TV has only two scart sockets, and I need to connect 3 units (DVD, VCR, Digibox). Obviously a switchable scart extension box springs to mind, so I got one, and connected it all together as follows:

DVD > TVs 'RGB' scart socket
    VCR and Digibox > scart box
    scart box > TVs scart no2

simple, right?... err not really. I am getting a VERY poor signal to the digibox, most channels are breaking up, some dont even work at all! So im thinking, tune the VCR in to the TV. This is where it gets annoying... according to the aged MATSUI VCR's manual, you need to have the VCR/Digibox connected a specific way (3 way scart lead) in order to tune it all in properly. When you turn the VCR off by the mains then switch it back on again, it's supposed to display 'AUTO' which then leads to the tune-in process. I dont know if it's because its connected differently, but when I switch the thing back on, it just displays the time! I cant even suss out a way to tune it in!

The ariel lead goes into the VCR first then another to the TV. Whilst connected this way, I cant even get a decent picture through normal TV!!! The only way to get a decent picture is to select the appropriate AV2 on the TV (so the VCR comes on), then use the VCR remote to switch channels!

There something obviously not quite right with the whole setup. Could anybody please give me some guidance as to how to solve the problem :eek:

rockhopper, Nov 17, 2005
  2. rockhopper

wolfgang

Have you tried connecting the ariel to the digibox (Freeview box?) and then connect it to the TV. How is the reception now? If the reception is poor you might need to sort out this out first either get better digital ariel or booster first of all.

Then find out if it possible for the VCR to be connnected between Digibox and the TV so you have one scart for watching Freeview and record the programmes. In effect you are only using the digibox tuner. You are ignoring the tuners in the TV and VCR since the 5 analogue channels are duplicated in the Freeview anyway.

Then use the other scart for DVDP.

wolfgang, Nov 17, 2005
  3. rockhopper

zanash

Yes thats the way I'd try.

Digi box -scart to vcr-
    vcr- scart to Tv
    Dvd -scart to second tv input.

Now I alway get confused with the ariel leads but seem to remember being told the VCR needs to be connected by scart and coax....there must be someone here who knows ?

zanash, Nov 18, 2005
  4. rockhopper

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

The mistake is taking on any kind of duty or obligation towards the GF's mother. Who knows what'll happen next? Show her the TV section of the yellow pages ;)

SteveC, Nov 18, 2005
  5. rockhopper

rockhopper

:D could be the way forward.

Thanks for the tips, i'll try this way before the yellow pages method. The main problem is trying to get the VCR tuned in, although I suppose I wont need to if it all works from the freeview.

rockhopper, Nov 18, 2005
  6. rockhopper

PaulH

I do the following set up.

DVD Picture > TV Scart1... DVD sound > Amp.
    DigiBox Picture > TV Scart2... DigBox sound > amp.
    VCR > DigBox with Scart.

The Aerial goes into the DigiBox.
    VCR is set to record ONLY from the Scart (ie the digibox).
    Hence the TV is acting as a monitor and thats it.

PaulH, Nov 18, 2005
Ask a Question