Considering complete change

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by penance, Mar 4, 2004.

1. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

Now tired of trial and error (make that just error) so im thinking of shifting the lot in favour of something that just plays music.
    I know ill probably miss it but i might get use to it aswell.
    Basicaly i cant afford to keep trying, i thought an amp would be the last upgrade but it is proving to be hard to sort out.
    Maybe a decent midi or such like may sort it out.

penance, Mar 4, 2004
  2. penance

hifikrazy

Best bet is to save until you can afford a nice system all in one go. This is by far the best way to go. I would buy something that will just play music. Ive put together a second system recently. For 80 quid ive got a cd player and amp that cost 800+ quid 9 years ago. And it sounds way better than anything you could pick up for anywhere near that.

hifikrazy, Mar 4, 2004
  3. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

maybe, but i dont think i can be bothered searching for second hand anymore.
    I already have a Rega Jupiter Cdp, so would keep that if i decided to stick with seperates

penance, Mar 4, 2004
  4. penance

titian

penace

IMHO before you do anything you should first be clear in yourself to know what you really would like to have.

.. and that could take time, because it also implies to listen to different systems. Just buying something and hoping will not solve the problem (if any).

If you need help, you can count on me.

cheers

titian

titian, Mar 4, 2004
  5. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

Thanks Titian:)

Im starting to believe that what i want is out of my reach, seems to be the seat of the problem.

Not having transport makes it awkward to get around to auditions.
    Maybe if i sell the Rotel for a decent price (as the shop seem to not be bothered) i will look again. But at the moment i just want to listen to music in an enjoyable way

penance, Mar 4, 2004
  6. penance

scoop

Penance,

Agree with the advice from titian really - even if you decide to stop chasing the upgrades, you'll still need to buy a system you're happy with and can enjoy. A couple of years ago I went for a one make system (that was a requirement from SWMBO - and the Rega one was on my list), that I found the most musical. Not the most expensive (given the systems around here!) but not the cheapest either. But in my case, I'm still enjoying the 'music' and am very happy with my choices. I hope you find something that fulfils your needs.

Simon

scoop, Mar 4, 2004
  7. penance

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Heres a novel suggestion - just keep what you've got and try and enjoy it. Surely it cant sound that bad?

PBirkett, Mar 4, 2004
  8. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

yep Paul, tis novel
    but no i dont enjoy it, not turned it on all week:rolleyes:

penance, Mar 4, 2004
  9. penance

The Devil IHTFP

The answer is simple, PM.

The Devil, Mar 4, 2004
  10. penance

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Perhaps you can join cookiemonster in "Team Micro" :p

PBirkett, Mar 4, 2004
  11. penance

sideshowbob Trisha

I agree with Titian. You probably need to sit down and work out what you're after, then work out how much you want to spend, and then take a bit of time making friends with a decent dealer or two and listen to some of their recommended setups in that price range. Hopefully one of them will go at least some way to satisfying you, but there's a good chance they won't.

If they don't, all isn't lost...

A lot of your recent problems seem to be caused by trying to find an amp to drive your speakers properly, but it may be that the speakers, in fact, are the problem - perhaps they simply don't give the presentation you're after. I'd start by keeping the CDP and Rotel, and embarking on a speaker quest. It may take time, it took me over a year to find a pair of speakers I was really happy with. If you still can't find anything you're happy with, that would be the time to reconsider the amp, IMO.

Speakers have a bigger effect on a system's presentation than anything else, IMO. I'd start there.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Mar 4, 2004
  12. penance

eagle

You seem to assume the cause of your present problem is your amplifier but have you considered the source could be an issue as well or even the preamp?

Just trying to say , have you investigated all your options?

Besides, even if you decide to ditch it all, how long after getting your new system will you think you are still missing something. In the end, this hobby of ours, is about experiment until you find something that suits you.

Just my 2 cents. Just enjoy the music not the system

I thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2004
    eagle, Mar 4, 2004
  13. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

The rotel gave part of what i wanted, a bigger sound with more impact. I think it showed that the speakers could be good if partnered well. But the rotel missed out on detail and ambience.
    Money is the deciding factor here, being that i dont have any spare now, wanting to wed and buy house:eek:

penance, Mar 4, 2004
  14. penance

Nik

Yup.
    Upgrade your attitude.
    Go buy some new CDs. Make time to listen. Enjoy them.
    Of course it may be that you like HiFi, but just don't like music.

Nik, Mar 4, 2004
  15. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

Thanks for the assumptions nik
    my attitude and taste in music if fine thanks:rolleyes:

penance, Mar 4, 2004
  16. penance

eagle

Penance,

I think sideshowbob makes a good point, maybe the Dynaudio's are not for you and the Rotel may have just brought this to your attention.

You could try taking your speakers to a dealer to audition amps with same type power output (for want of a better word) ie Brystons, Krells or Classe etc.. to see if your speakers works better with this amps or whether it's the speaker presentation you do not like.

eagle, Mar 4, 2004
  17. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

yea maybe,
    with the shearne its not so bad, nice detail and ambience but not much thwack ( (C) WM) the rotel gave the thwack but took away the other niceties.
    I may be wrong, but to me that says the Rotel isnt for me.

One problem i have is not being able to transport my kit around for demo's.

penance, Mar 4, 2004
  18. penance

sideshowbob Trisha

Power and subtlety in combination is quite a hard thing to achieve for a reasonable budget.

Have you ever heard your Dyns sounding really really good? If so, what amp was driving them? See if you can hear the same setup somewhere, take your CDP with you.

If that doesn't work out, ditch the Dyns!

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Mar 4, 2004
  19. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

i thought i had heard them sing, but that was when i demo'd them and it was a RB-1070, so i guess my needs have moved on from then
    I think if i suggested different speakers the wedding would be off!

I have a chance of demo with an AVI lab series, but i neither have the transport of cash to do it at the mo.

penance, Mar 4, 2004
  20. penance

The Devil IHTFP

If you have a look at this rather sad place , you will observe that the threads fall into four main categories:

1. Technical enquiries about specifications, connections, etc. Boring.

2. Threads to ask what 'upgrade' should come hot on the heels of the previous 'upgrade'. Funny.

3. Threads to congratulate the manufacturer on a fantastic product. Creepy.

4. Threads to complain that the new 'upgrade' hasn't fulfilled expectations, and what could possibly be wrong? Sad.

The reason for all this is that the inhabitants' expectations are as high as the prices charged, because they believe that swapping boxes makes for 'huge differences'.

The hi-fi industry relies on repeated cycles of dissatisfaction-upgrade-dissatisfaction-upgrade, etc.

The Devil, Mar 4, 2004
Ask a Question