Controlling DAB/FM tuner via computer?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by owl37400, Oct 2, 2013.

1. owl37400

owl37400

Most of my listening these days is either through itunes (from my mac mini to a DAC to the amp) or the radio (cambridge audio DAB tuner and a Denon FM tuner both connected directly to the amp).

I'm looking to rationalise everything because at the moment the controls are all in different places.

I'd also like to be able to control itunes without needing to use my main computer.

As I'm about to get a new computer, the old mac mini can potentially become dedicated to my audio system. I'm looking at getting an old ipod touch, then using Apple Remote to make the ipod the control interface for itunes.

What would be great is if I could also control the radio functions via the mac mini (ie using the ipod touch as monitor/interface). It's possible to get USB dongle tuners (would these be any good anyway) but I'm not sure how easy it would be to control them via the ipod - other than using some kind of VNC thing to make the ipod mirror the computer display which sounds like a messy way of doing things.

There are various things like Plex which can give you a nice interface for combining the controls for various inputs but I can't find anything that will integrate controls for radio tuners.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

The control interface doesn't have to be on an ipod - could also be a small android based device for example. Preferable not anything expensive though.

owl37400, Oct 2, 2013
  2. owl37400

RobHolt Moderator

You can certainly get a number of remote applications to control a mac, though perhaps look at using an iPad instead of iPod as the controller as the extra screen area will be very useful. I turned up these on a simple search:

http://mac.appstorm.net/roundups/iphone-roundups/9-remote-control-apps-for-iphone/

Another option is to use an Airport Express and then stream to it via Airplay. This allows you to use just the iPhone or iPad if you wish without the pc/mac. A really convenient and relatively inexpensive way to fire internet radio and something like Spotify at your hi-fi directly from your portable device.

RobHolt, Oct 2, 2013
  3. owl37400

owl37400

Thanks, yes, I've been looking at various remote applications.

Reason for looking at ipod instead of ipad is that it's not too hard to get 2nd/3rd gen ipod touches quite cheap secondhand (ie under £50ish) unlike ipads.

Using these remote apps or airplay still doesn't really address how to deal with radio though - DAB/FM rather than internet radio. I'd rather have "real" radio that isn't reliant on my broadband connection.

I can get a USB tuner dongle, that will plug into the mac mini which will have its own interface. The question is, how easy will this interface be to use when I'm trying to do it through a remote app on a small screen. Which is why I was wondering if there's any better solution out there.

owl37400, Oct 2, 2013
  4. owl37400

owl37400

Ok - I think I have found at least a partial answer.

I have found at least one remote app (Hipporemote) that seems to have controls for EyeTV built in. EyeTV is software for the mac that works with their own USB based tuners (seems it may work with some 3rd party dongles as well). And one of the EyeTV dongles "EyeTV Hybrid" even has an FM tuner built in. Not DAB as such but you can get the main DAB stations via DVB-T (ie freeview) as well.

As for whether this means a compromise on sound quality as opposed to a dedicated hifi separates type tuner I'm not sure.

owl37400, Oct 3, 2013
  5. owl37400

RobHolt Moderator

EyeTV has been around for many years in various forms so should be well sorted. As for the sound, it's suck and see as I doubt many forum members use it.

RobHolt, Oct 3, 2013
Ask a Question