Cool music "linking" site

Discussion in 'General Music' started by michaelab, Oct 28, 2003.

1. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

http://www.gnod.net/music/

Press Continue a couple of times and then enter 3 bands or musicians you like. It will come up with a recommendation and then you can click on "Related Bands" below it and it comes up with a cool sort of "floating" grouping of similar bands.

:MILD:

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 28, 2003
  2. michaelab

cookiemonster

wow, on the first hit it come up with loads of stuff i've never heard of. Straight copy and paste into Amazon for further exploration.

cool. cheers

cookiemonster, Oct 28, 2003
  3. michaelab

stumblin Kittens getting even...

Like this a lot. I put in three pretty unrelated names and it came back with some from my current collection, some I'm meaning to try and some I've never heard of, but will now look out for.
    Groups entered:

Therapy?
    Hammel on trial
    Massive attack

right, I'm off to see what Nick Cave, Sigur Ross and the Pixies brings back! Woo hoo!

stumblin, Oct 28, 2003
  4. michaelab

cookiemonster

Hmm,

well it was good at first, but have now tried it with quite a few unrelated artists and it keeps coming back with The Police. :D . Either i really like the police, or its database is on the slim side.

Will try some more.........

5. michaelab

cookiemonster

Ok, i put in three african artists this time, and it came up with U2 :confused: :D . Done loads of combinations of artists, and keep getting U2/Police. I reckon these are default settings if it doesn't recognise any of the bands/artists. Its impressive at first, but i can put practically anything in (even stuff i don't like), and loads of the same things keep coming up.........

........ok - final test - i entered:

bg
    dfs
    hyt5

...yes just abstract letters - and guess what - i should listen to U2 again. :D

6. michaelab

cookiemonster

ahhh........i know why i cocked it up - don't use the back button on your browser - have to load the front page afresh each time - doh - donkey. :eek: :eek: :eek:

7. michaelab

sideshowbob Trisha

Well, a combination of Throbbing Gristle, Doris Day, and Dizzy Gillespie gives a recommendation of Ziggy Marley.

Frankly, I'm sceptical.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Oct 28, 2003
  8. michaelab

Maybe it just thinks you like bands with acronyms for names - Your lucky it didn't suggest NSYNC...

stumblin, Oct 28, 2003
  9. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

The individual recommendations aren't so interesting as the "map" it puts up if you click on "related bands" which is much more powerful.

Apparently, the closer two band names are in the map the more related they are. Of course you can click on any band in the map and it then "centres" the map there.

Ian - I suspect that it's not quite so good at less, ahem, mainstream music :D

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 28, 2003
  10. michaelab

sideshowbob Trisha

You can't get much more mainstream than Doris Day!

The "related artists" map suggests R. Kelly, Don bloody Henley, Aerosmith, Phish, Linda godawful Ronstadt, Johnny Mathis and a whole load of other cack. Oh, and Elvis, the Beatles and Beethoven, who I would guess can be related in some way to absolutely every other musician in the known universe.

-- Ian

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2003
    sideshowbob, Oct 28, 2003
  11. michaelab

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

massive attack + underworld + faithless = crystal method.

Anyone agree/disagree? something I should try first? :) dance relative-newcomer seeks advice!

bottleneck, Oct 28, 2003
  12. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

I don't know how they work out "relatedness" but I think they depend on a fair amount of user input. Where input is sparse (as I would expect it to be for Doris Day) the links will be tenuous.

When I put in Air, Gotan Project and Moby it suggested "Fatboy Slim" - fair enough, but then the relatedness map was pretty spot on.

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 28, 2003
  13. michaelab

I'd imagine the relatedness started as rough sketch done by the creator, and is then updated based on user input - the 'I like this' 'I don't like this' and 'I don't know this' buttons. It may then add any new artists to it's database, and start up relationships based on the user input again.

It's bit like the web pages that can guess a cartoon character that you are thinking of by asking questions. Same principle.

stumblin, Oct 28, 2003
  14. michaelab

MO! MOnkey`ead!

A man of taste! (well, sigur ros and massive attack at least :p )

I tried finding a few similar artists to Sigur Ros a while back. They're quite unique, but I did dig up a few (including a beautifull sounding female fronted group). I'll try and find the mp3s.....

A couple who are there, or there abouts :rolleyes: MOgwai, Tortoise, God Speed You Black Emperor..... None of whom are exactly clones, but do there own thing well. Worth a listen at least if you've not tried them already

MO

MO!, Oct 28, 2003
  15. michaelab

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Get Lambs Debut album!!!

There's other albums that'll fit in better with what you list, but Lambs debut is essential IMO! Amazing clever DnB and breaks with some sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet vocals!

Leftfields Leftism is perhaps even MOre *essential* to any PROPER ( ;) ) dance collection IMO!

Then For a hip hop twist on things, DJ Shadows Endtroducing is a MUST!

Try these three first and go from there I reakon :D

MO!, Oct 28, 2003
Ask a Question