Copland CDA289 Vs. Meridian 507 - opinions?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by juboy, Jan 20, 2004.

1. juboy

juboy

I'm in the market for a second hand CD player to upgrade my current Rega Planet and am currently faced with the option of a good deal on either of the above players.

I have heard the Meridian 507, briefly, at somebody else's demo and was reasonably impressed with what I heard although the kit it was being used with was nothing like what I use so the comparison's fairly invalid.

I have not heard, and do not have any real chance of hearing, the Copland CDA289. The reviews I have read seem positive, although it seems that the more expensive the player, the less likely it is to be whole heartedly recommended.

As both the players are being offered at pretty much the same money (the 507 is £50 cheaper but a year older than the CDA289) this doesn't come down to a financial question, simply one of outright sound quality. I also don't care about looks, manuals, original boxes etc.

The CD player will be run through a Krell 300i integrated amp, via Audioquest Coral I/C and Nordost SuperFlatline Gold MkII bi-wiring Leema Xavier speakers.

My listening ranges from old/modern rock and trance and hardhouse. I prefer a direct, clear and analytical sound as opposed to warm and relaxed and like components to add as little of their own personality as possible.

Any views and opinions would be appreciated (especially from any Copland CD player owners/users).

juboy, Jan 20, 2004
  2. juboy

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

As much as I admire your boss :D , this one is easy, the Copland Julian, is cracking cdp, I modded a few , vrds mech bb 1702's the most musical of the BB chipsets (IMHO), heavy decent construction on the chassis, quality build, and LIFE and music
    the 507 is good, newer and again quality, texturious and lush, good sound stage too, to me doesn't have the energy that the Copland has, Me I'd have the 289, but you will need to do go back to back to realise for yourself Ju. Wm

wadia-miester, Jan 20, 2004
  3. juboy

juboy

Thanks for that. TBH the Copland appeals more if only because it was one of those brands that I aspired to as a young(ish) kid looking round decent audio shops. It's always nice to finally achieve something you dreamt of as a kid.

As both are virtually the same price, I think I'll go with the Copland as it's newer and was more expensive at cost price so should be the better deal.

BTW, I'm not too sure who's supposed to be my 'boss' as I own my own business... although I guess good PR dictates that all clients are my masters ;)

juboy, Jan 20, 2004
  4. juboy

juboy

Ah, well, what a difference a weekend makes. Just phoned up to make the purchase and the Copland I had my eye on was sold on Saturday :(

Does the Meridian 507 offer a real performance jump from the Planet?

Also, for £250 less than the 507 I could add a Musical Fidelity A3.24 192kHz upsampling DAC to my Rega Plant - which would be the better option from a purely sound quality point of view?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2004
    juboy, Jan 20, 2004
  5. juboy

Lawrie

Keepin' it real, right here in Lawrieville.
    Hey Juboy,

I agree 100% with WM's assessment of the Copland CDA-289 vs the Meridian 507. The Meridian is a fine player for the money but if the music is what you are after, then the older Copland player is the one to get. One immediate difference you will notice between the two is the bass performance and dynamics of the Copland player. The Meridian certainly cannot compete in this area. How do I know all this? Well, I own the Copland CDA-289 player and no, I'm not selling.:D One thing though, the Copland player is very responsive to internal tweaks, power cords and even the platform or feet supporting it. If you are a believer in tweaks, then you'll have a field day with that player.;)

WM - whatever happened to your buddy, Martin Colloms' review of his modified Copland CDA-289 player? Has he published it yet?

Enjoy the music,

Lawrie.:D

Lawrie, Jan 20, 2004
  6. juboy

juboy

Thanks, that makes me feel so much better :D

Hmm, maybe I'll just hold out for another CDA289 to become available.

juboy, Jan 20, 2004
  7. juboy

Gambit Junior Vice President

What about Ditton's 600 series Transport and DAC? How do they fair against the 507? Surely better...

Gambit, Jan 20, 2004
  8. juboy

HenryT

juboy - there appears to be a 289 listed over at Oxford Audio Consultants, or was that the one you were chasing?

BTW, anyone know the differences between the 288 and 289 Copland CDPs? I'm pretty sure I listened to a 288 (but have never heard a 289) and wasn't very impressed at all. :SLEEP:

HenryT, Jan 20, 2004
  9. juboy

juboy

Thanks for that. Unfortunately it's £450 more than the one I was looking at :eek:

juboy, Jan 20, 2004
  10. juboy

HenryT

OK, guess you were looking at buying from a private seller then? Usually a lot cheaper than the retailers. If they still have it, wonder if they would consider £400 off? :) Then again, certain retailers have second hand or ex-dem items which they try and flog off at a fixed price for well over a year and still refuse to take offers. ;)

HenryT, Jan 20, 2004
  11. juboy

juboy

It was from a retailer, was second hand but mint and only 10 months old. I guess I missed a bargain, big time. I reckon Oxford Audio have it on at far too high a price but seriously doubt they'd reduce it by a further 30%.

juboy, Jan 20, 2004
  12. juboy

HenryT

I've absolutely no idea what 289's are worth second hand, but from what you say that did sound like a very rare opportunity, especially seeing as it was only 10 months old.

Ah well, I'm selling a dCS Delius DAC at £400 below what Oxford are offering too if anyone's interested. ;)

HenryT, Jan 20, 2004
  13. juboy

Lawrie

Keepin' it real, right here in Lawrieville.
    QUOTE]Originally posted by juboy
    It was from a retailer, was second hand but mint and only 10 months old. I guess I missed a bargain, big time. I reckon Oxford Audio have it on at far too high a price but seriously doubt they'd reduce it by a further 30%. [/QUOTE]

Hey Juboy,

Well it's just as well that you missed that Copland player because there is no way that it could have been 10 months old. Dealer tricks perhaps?;) The Copland CDA-289 (and the lesser CDA-266) has been out of production for well over 2 years. Copland then brought out the current CDA-822 around 1.5 years ago which in terms of sound, occupies a position between the CDA-266 and the CDA-289. Beware the dealer who is trying to pass off an older player as one that is 10 months old.;)

Henry - The differences between the Copland CDA-288 & the CDA-289 are simple. Copland simply took all the negatives of the CDA-288 and put them right in the CDA-289. Here is one review which exactly matches my experiences with the different models in the range: http://www.uhfmag.com/Issue55/Copland55.html

Enjoy the music,

Lawrie.:D

Lawrie, Jan 20, 2004
  14. juboy

juboy

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the info.

juboy, Jan 20, 2004
  15. juboy

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Lawrie, my word we agree on something :) , As for MR Colloms, he's not my buddy, I never met the man, although there are the odd jurno's that know a thing or 2 I believe. But you'll have to ask him yourself as to his thoughts on the modded 289's, maybe he was a bit shocked & unable to contemplate what he'd heard :eek: . In answer to the question Lawrie I really don't know sorry.
    Julian, how much you got to spend, the 3.24 dac isn't too bad (one of m/f's better efforts for sure)

wadia-miester, Jan 20, 2004
  16. juboy

juboy

I'm really aiming to keep the source budget in-line with the amp and speakers. Therefore I'm looking at c.£2000 retail/new CD players, which I'm hoping to get lucky with and pick up for £1000 or £1200 at a stretch.

juboy, Jan 20, 2004
  17. juboy

Gambit Junior Vice President

There's the new Tri-Vista DAC (boo hiss) which is actually supporsed to kick royal ass, for £1200.

Gambit, Jan 20, 2004
  18. juboy

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

1200 quid?

You could get... DAC64, and hunt for a cheap transport, or..
    might get lucky with meridian 588.

Thats what I'd be hunting for at that price band.

bottleneck, Jan 20, 2004
Ask a Question