Copland CDP experience

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by liamjf, Oct 27, 2003.

1. liamjf

liamjf

Hi, does anyone have any experience with the Copland CDA 288 CD player? I only ask cos there's a nice looking one on ebay.....:)

Cheers, Liam.

liamjf, Oct 27, 2003
  2. liamjf

soundzandpower BBQ?

Hi

I use the next model down, the CDA 277 and to my ears its a wonderful player. Deep soundstage and rythmic.

Not sure about the 288 although I have heard it said that it was an attempt at getting a more analouge sound from CD.

Regards

soundzandpower, Oct 28, 2003
  3. liamjf

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

The 289 is a good player, had one for 3 weeks, that's good in world of Wm Towers, Martain Colloms also 'Recently' had a modded one for appraisel, I believe he was 'Some what surprised' by the results :) Wm

wadia-miester, Oct 28, 2003
  4. liamjf

Lawrie

Keepin' it real, right here in Lawrieville.
    Hey Liam,

I've just seen your post dude. The Copland CDA-288 (not to be confused with it's successor, the CDA-289) is a good player which contains the TEAC VRDS transport mechanism, 2 Burr Brown 20 bit DACs and an HDCD filter. The only thing I would say it lacks is some musical pace (PRAT) in comparison to some other players but it is detailed and smooth in return. It's weaknesses, however, could be rectified by modification and it is also responsive to power cord changes (make of that what you will). A friend of mine has had his CDA-288 modified with an LC-Audio clock (IIRC) and sprinkling of some 'gold dust' on the rest of the mechanics. I have not yet heard the modified player as he lives in Germany but he swears by it. I might get to hear it over the Christmas period when I visit him. The CDA-289 improved on the CDA-288's weaknesses.

Anyway, according to WM, Martin Colloms approves of the CDA-288's elder brother, the CDA-289 which contains a customised Sony transport so you can't go wrong there can you?:D Both players weigh 17kg (approx. 35lbs) and are about 7 inches tall and contain some prime real estate within that huge box. One report I saw a few years back mentioned that the CDA-288 (applies also to the CDA-289) was built better than a Saab - an exaggeration but I'm sure you get the drift. So bid with confidence. FWIW, I do own the CDA-289 that has so bowled over Martin Colloms but I am using it as transport to an external DAC. Maybe, I should give Martin Colloms a call eh.:D

Enjoy the music,

Lawrie.:D

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2003
    Lawrie, Oct 28, 2003
  5. liamjf

chris.gally

chris.gally, Oct 28, 2003
  6. liamjf

liamjf

Thanks guys, any idea of reasonable (and unreasonable!) second hand price?

Liam.

liamjf, Oct 28, 2003
  7. liamjf

voodoo OdD

voodoo, Oct 28, 2003
Ask a Question