Copy Protected Disc

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by monotone, Aug 2, 2005.

1. monotone

monotone

How common is it for CD players not able to read copy protected disc?

Had my Marantz SA17-S1 serviced to rectify some unreadable SACD issues, now it failed to read copy protected discs (it did before). Marantz claimed they can't rectify the copy protected issue.

Is it common for players to not play these discs?

monotone, Aug 2, 2005
  2. monotone

LinearMan

I suspect that, whilst in for repair, the firmware was updated which has lead to the problems you're having. These copy protected 'CD's do not adhere to the Philips/Sony 'Red Book' standard and are technically not CDs. I suggest you take the CD back to the shop and demand a refund as they haven't sold you a CD.

You're not alone in facing this problem. Indeed, Naim released an update to allow their earlier models to play copy protected discs.

LinearMan, Aug 2, 2005
  3. monotone

monotone

Yeah... I'm weighing the issue too... they managed to fix/update a SACD problem which I'm really happy about, and just worried that by sending it back to solve the copy protected issue, might cause any problems on the SACD end.

I have more SACDs than copy protected discs.

Thanks LinearMan, will check whether the have a separate firmware for copy protection issue.

Cheers!

monotone, Aug 2, 2005
  4. monotone

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

my Denon 2900 seems to have this problem (it even affects the cd layer of hybrid sacd's!!).

Very, very annoying it is too :-(

Dynamic Turtle, Aug 2, 2005
  5. monotone

Wingless Garuda

It's ironic that copy protection is there to stop you copying them on PCs, but with a PC it's usually easy to bypass that protection. I agree with the theory about returning CDs to the vendor, but in practice it's a hassle (end in your case, you may have bought them some time ago).

Wingless Garuda, Aug 2, 2005
  6. monotone

Will The Lucky One

I don't have problems with copy protected CDs in my hifi's player (Cambridge Discmagic 2), but they won't play at all in my cars head unit (a Sony).

So the irony is, because of the copy protection, I end up putting the CD in the computer, extracting the music using CDEX, then burning it back onto another CD - yes, the copy protection means I end up copying the CD :rolleyes: just so I can use it how I want.

Will, Aug 2, 2005
  7. monotone

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

lol - the irony!

Dynamic Turtle, Aug 2, 2005
Ask a Question