Copy protection - boot on the other foot

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tones, Jan 23, 2004.

1. tones

tones compulsive cantater

A consumer watchdog is suing four of the world's biggest music labels in a bid to stop their use of copy-protected CDs.
    Belgian consumer company Test-Achats said on December 31 2003 that it will take Sony, EMI, BMG and Universal Music to court for infringing consumers' basic rights to access their private property.
    The suit follows complaints by Test-Achats' consumers, saying they were unable to make personal copies of their CDs or listen to them on a number of devices, such as car stereos and computers.
    “In this manner we demand a change in the big companies' attitude to music discs because copying a CD for personal use is not a crime,†the group said.
    Music companies launched copy-protected CDs to protect their artists' copyrights, reacting to rising piracy rates in Europe over the past few years.
    Though mainly aimed at protecting consumers against the companies' actions in Belgium, the suit could be the biggest legal action taken against the music labels in Europe.
    But the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI), which supports the music companies, said the case has no legal basis.
    “European law is clear that record companies and other copyright holders have the right to protect their works through technical measures. The recording industry is labelling copy-protected CDs to inform consumers,†said the Federation's spokesperson.
    She added that some car manufacturers are now looking at the problem in relation to car stereos.
    Test-Achat's court action is also aimed at highlighting the importance of consumer rights in light of the EU copyright directive, which will soon be implemented in Belgium and other EU countries.
    The directive, which is already in place in Greece, Denmark, Italy, Austria, Germany and the UK, makes the circumvention of anti-copying devices a criminal offence.
    “We are not looking to get a political decision, but a legal decision which allows us to protect consumers' rights in the future,†the spokesperson for Test-Achats told MIP Week.
    The music companies are expected to submit their comments on the case on March 9. A full hearing is not expected before the summer.

tones, Jan 23, 2004
  2. tones

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Good stuff. It comes to something when people who've gone out and bought these "CD's" cannot even play it on their home CD player. I am not that bothered any more though, because most of the chart music is crap anyway, and if I get something and cant play it, I'll take it back, get my money back, and pirate it instead. The record industry is only damaging itself and yet it cant see it - if it makes a sound it can be copied, but piss enough people off, and they'll stop buying it, simple as.

PBirkett, Jan 23, 2004
  3. tones

MO! MOnkey`ead!

There's been quite a few threads about copy protection and I always start reading them with interest. However, I'd assumed that even making a copy for personal use WAS a crime, just one that they'd never actualy follow through with punishing you for.

MO!, Jan 23, 2004
  4. tones

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

I believe in Germany, it is perfectly legal to make a copy for personal use. As usual, Britain follows the US like sheep where it is in fact illegal in both countries to make copies for personal use. Not that it stops people, mind you.

nsherin, Jan 23, 2004
Ask a Question