Copy Protection-Ceased

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by analoguekid, Oct 5, 2004.

1. analoguekid

analoguekid Planet Rush

Sony to stop making copy protected cd's due to legitimate buyers not being able to play on certain pieces of equipment.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3712662.stm details here.

Mods not sure were to post this, so placed here were most will see it, please feel free to move in nescessary.

analoguekid, Oct 5, 2004
  2. analoguekid

michaelab desafinado

Cheers AK. Was going to post that link here myself :)

Hopefully the others will follow suit and the whole sorry affair of CD copy protection will soon be over.

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 5, 2004
  3. analoguekid

analoguekid Planet Rush

Does that mean we can return all the copy protected cd's and get new unprotected replacements?

analoguekid, Oct 5, 2004
  4. analoguekid

user34 Garrard 401 User

Now if Emi would do the same!

user34, Oct 5, 2004
  5. analoguekid

julian2002 Muper Soderator

to be honest i've never had any problems ripping a copy protected cd (only playing back on a cd player) so as a 'protection' system it fails miserably - like most non hardware based copy protection.
    i've never been able to hear the difference in sound that some claim to - but then i think digital and analogue sound the same too so i must have cloth ears.
    nice that it's going away now - although it's one less thing to witter about on internet fora.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Oct 5, 2004
  6. analoguekid

analoguekid Planet Rush

The only one I couldn't circumvent in software was Tubular Bells 2003, but connected Digi out of CDP to sound card and worked that way, pain in the arse though.

analoguekid, Oct 5, 2004
  7. analoguekid

voodoo OdD

Excellent news. It was a fairly flawed system from the outset. Nice to see a company like $ONY see sense/bow to pressure ;) .

Julian, I've never tried to burn one on the Mac. I know it can't done in iTunes :rolleyes:, so what are you using ?

voodoo, Oct 5, 2004
  8. analoguekid

i use exact audio copy (eac) on the pc. this tries to rip a bit perfect copy with multiple retrys if errors occur. occasionally i'll get a cd which will start retrying a large amount. in this instance just turn the retrying off and it rips just fine - at a notionally 'lower quality' as there may be bit errors. in practice i can't tell the difference.
    as for burning - i haven't burnt any cd's for a while but in the past the roxio burner which came with my pc does an ok job.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Oct 5, 2004
  9. analoguekid

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

About time. As with Julian, my system gets upset with copy protection (specifically with Macrovision CDS200). I can and do, however, create a copy without copy protection so that I can play it. Hard to see what they achieved really, other than alienating those who legitimately purchase the CDs.

I-S, Oct 5, 2004
  10. analoguekid

michaelab desafinado

I never had any issues ripping copy-protected CDs with iTunes on my PC. It depends greatly on the drive you use. I'm lucky that my old NEC 5700 DVD/CD drive reads audio CDs just like an audio CD player would which neatly gets around all the copy protection cr@p.

With other drives I tried (including an NEC DVD/CD writer) I could do it with EAC but it took FOR EVER to read the "hobbled" tracks.

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 5, 2004
  11. analoguekid

michael,
    if it's taking a long time, just use the burst mode. this glosses over any errors deliberately added to the data - much as a normal cd player should. i can't tell the difference between that and the secure modes - even though i use the secure mode by default.
    cheers

julian.

julian2002, Oct 5, 2004
Ask a Question