Copying DVD Films

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sid and Coke, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Sid and Coke

Sid and Coke

Copying DVD's.
    Do any of you guys do it and if so what Burning software do you use ? I got a load of software with my new PC's DVD drives but have never used any of it before, I've only really ever used Easy CD Creator to do the odd CD for the car and even then not always successfully.

Sid and Coke, Jun 3, 2004
  2. Sid and Coke

Mr_Sukebe

This is not really a thread that should be discussed on this kind of forum.
    External groups tend to get upset about open discussion of copying, particularly of DVDs and could result in the forum being closed. Probably worth locking this thread now.

Mr_Sukebe, Jun 3, 2004
  3. Sid and Coke

rodrat

It is unlikley that any of the supplied software will copy DVD's. I back up my own purchased DVD's as the kids tend to leave them lying about. I use 1 click dvd copy. You can download a trial which will allow you to copy three DVD's before purchase. It costs about £30 to buy. It literally does everything from one mouse click. The only downside is that it will compress longer DVD 's to fit on one disc. However, the quality is still excellent and my kids don't notice the difference.

Please note I am not advocating DVD copying for bootleg purposes and only use mine to backup.

Rod

rodrat, Jun 3, 2004
  4. Sid and Coke

Sgt Rock

search for dvdshrink on google it's free and very easy to use :eek:

rodrat dvd film discs are double layer and pc dvd discs are single layer thats why

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2004
    Sgt Rock, Jun 3, 2004
  5. Sid and Coke

michaelab desafinado

I don't think there's an issue with discussing copying of DVDs. Afterall, there are plenty of sites that discuss it and openly distribute (and even legally sell) the software to do it.

DVD X Copy is the main commercial DVD copying software but it costs money and AFAIK it doesn't do compression so you can only copy single layer DVDs (most films are dual layer).

The best solution around is DVD Shrink which has very flexible compression options in order to fit dual-layer (9Gb) films onto single layer (4.5Gb) recordable DVDs. In order to avoid having to compress the actual film too much you can opt to lose the extras, foreign language soundtracks and unwanted subtitles which can all save you a lot of space.

DVD Shrink doesn't do the actual burning though. You'll need a separate DVD writing software such as Nero to write the files that DVD shrink creates for you.

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 3, 2004
  6. Sid and Coke

Sid and Coke

Thanks guys. So it seems to be much more complicated than just knockin off a couple of CD's for the car than. I didn't realise that. I obviously need to brush up on my technology a bit. I thought something was going wrong when my DVD burner said the blank had 4.7 GB and my new LOTR DVD was 7 point something. i'll have to go and have a word with the chap in my local independant computer shop, see what he can do for me regarding the required software and 'how to' knowledge, he's done me a few good 'favours' in the past, at a price mind.

I should also add that I've only got about 6 DVD's anyway, and my query was more out of interest and the desire to play with my new toys for my own family use, rather than pirating films on a large scale.

Thanks again
    S&C

Edited to add:
    I downloaded DVD shrink and shrunk a DVD but didn't manage to copy it as my burning software wasn't up to it, I think that something like Nero would do it but i couldn't be bothered to buy a copy.
    I downloaded and used the '1 Click DVD' software and it worked first time, brilliantly. I can't discern any noticable difference between my copy and the original, apart from all of the titles, extras , etc,( missing :) ), Basically you just get the movie and it cuts all the crap. . I don't know whether i'll bother buying the full version as i won't have much need for copying, as i said i just wanted to see what my new toys could do. If i do i know what to buy though.

Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2004
    Sid and Coke, Jun 4, 2004
Ask a Question