Cost effective recent upgrades

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mr_Sukebe, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

I'm presently trying to save some pennies up for what is likely to be the last hi-fi equipment upgrade for a long time, i.e. a replacement pre-amp. At the moment, I'm working on an 82, but that's not likely to be until later in the year.

In the meantime there have been some room upgrades which have proved rather effective:

1. Speaker positioning

[​IMG]

As can be seen, no TV or other gear anywhere near the speakers. Really does make a massive difference to the sound. Just need to finish tidying the cables up (do that in a min I think).

2. Move the stereo electronics:

[​IMG]

It's now all around the back of the sofa. I can't imagine it makes a lot of difference to the sound, and does mean I've no idea what track I'm playing, but aesthetically it's a winner. A definite improvement that even the wife approves of.

3. New listening chair:

[​IMG]

Yes it's cheap and from Ikea (for which read poor quality finishing), but it's seriously comfortable and brilliant for listening to music in.

So, time to relax with some more brilliant music, after all, this game is about enjoying music, not just twiddling with bits of kit.

Mr_Sukebe, Apr 18, 2004
  2. Mr_Sukebe

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I've also been playing with room positioning. It has had very satisfying results.

In addition, my new granite speaker plinths:

[​IMG]

With alu cone feet

[​IMG]

These have had a significant effect in reducing problems with the floor. Total cost, £21.

I-S, Apr 18, 2004
  3. Mr_Sukebe

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

You're both lucky to be able to do that. I have a small room so there isn't much I can do improve this

[​IMG]

I've tried but getting a bed, tv, books, records, tools and magazines in a small bedroom is very hard.

I suppose better speaker stands would not hurt, but I don't use them enough to make it worth while. My headphones are the main output medium.

The most cost effective recent upgrade was buying my DAC and discovering the MM switch on the Rotel preamp as a result its now used as the preamp for my turntbale and sounds exellent.

amazingtrade, Apr 19, 2004
  4. Mr_Sukebe

My room also doubles as study, living room, bedroom, electronics lab, etc. It's a fairly big room, but has two beds, clothes, 3 desks, computers, hifi, a sofa, shelves, etc all in it as well (and a bathroom that acts as a resonator... 6ftx6ft)

I-S, Apr 19, 2004
  5. Mr_Sukebe

racey

Hi
    Where did you get the cone feet from?
    I'm concerned about sound being transmitted to the flat below.
    My speakers are already on a stone plinth so will the cone feet help?

racey, Apr 19, 2004
  6. Mr_Sukebe

michaelab desafinado

Mike,

Does your wife mind you collecting stuffed toy cats? :D Don't know why but they look distinctly Japanese to me.

Michael.

michaelab, Apr 19, 2004
  7. Mr_Sukebe

Markus S Trade

AT, for probably a very low cost, you could try making the top plates of your speaker stands smaller so the speakers are flush with the edges, or at least move your speakers forward a little.

A "step" like you have between speakers and stand gives a small-band colouration, probably somewhere in the upper mids/lower treble in your case. It's a diffraction effect.

Markus S, Apr 19, 2004
  8. Mr_Sukebe

technobear Ursine Audiophile

I notice the stuffed cats are in a corner. Do they act as bass traps :confused:

technobear, Apr 19, 2004
  9. Mr_Sukebe

evilSimon

Mr Sukebe you've had a visit or two to Ikea haven't you ;) :D

evilSimon, Apr 19, 2004
  10. Mr_Sukebe

Ultrasonic Bo selecta!!

Isaac, where did u get those lovely plinths from,they look cool and 21pounds all in inc alu cones sounds like a bargain to me:D

Ultra

:D

P.S: not sure about the pink carpet tho...;)

Ultrasonic, Apr 19, 2004
  11. Mr_Sukebe

The pink carpet is hideous. As much as possible of it is hidden under rugs. The walls used to be same colour, with stencilled honeysuckles on them. :chunder: I want a paprika orange carpet to contrast with the purple walls, but will probably be moving out soon.

The bits of granite I bought were random bits from a local place that does granite kitchen tops. They have to cut out the blocks where the sinks go, and have little use for them. Since I was just turning up and taking away (not asking them to do any polishing, etc), they don't cost much at all, and came to £15 for two pieces, 500mm x 400mm x 30mm. If I had them neaten and polish and so on, they'd be more like £100 each, as it is a labour and tool intensive process.

The cones were off ebay, £3 for three, twice over. Clean off the underside of the granite (get as much dust etc as possible out) and a little adhesive, and done.

I-S, Apr 19, 2004
  12. Mr_Sukebe

evilSimon

Isaac what were these "floor problems" you had & what positive changes did the plinths give you?

Last year I bought a couple of marble slabs from... urr Wickes I think it was, just to try under my old Monitor Audio silver 5i's, but found it changed moved balance up too much - bass became a bit too lean and made the treble a bit too sharp.

I've yet to try em under the gold refs in the new house, but I suspect I'd find a similar result.

evilSimon, Apr 20, 2004
  13. Mr_Sukebe

The floor is large area and is made (under the carpet) of chipboard. It has quite a lot of resonant modes. Some bass notes were swallowed completely by the floor, others amplified. All of the bass was muddied up by this. With the plinths, it's tighter, clearer and more even, with no loss of depth.

I-S, Apr 20, 2004
  14. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

I don't really collect anything (apart from CDs and DVDs, plenty of those), so she's a little unsure of what to make of them as it's somewhat out of character.

As it happens, they were pretty bored when I took the photo, just waiting for the next Grand Prix.

Mr_Sukebe, Apr 21, 2004
Ask a Question