Cost refubrishing old 70;s Pioneer amp?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amazingtrade, Nov 18, 2008.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

My sister has on old Pioneer amp from around 1978-1981 it has been brilliant but there is a tiny crackle in the pot now (will try cleaning this). However it still has the orginal capacitors which are now getting on for 30 years old.

She really likes the amp as it is a talking point with her friends (she is only 22) and she loves the sound.

How much is it likely to cost to refurb this?

I am not sure what model it is, but its full size and it seems very powerful, I've had it on quite loud volumes with no clipping etc. I would guess it is some where between 50-70RMS into 8ohms. It is not a reciever and it is full size, I so imagine it would have cost a lot of money back then.

amazingtrade, Nov 18, 2008
  2. amazingtrade

RobHolt Moderator

If it sound ok at the moment I'd just replace the PSU caps.
    We are likely talking about two large smoothing caps at around £6 each and a couple of smaller ones for the pre/phono section at anything from 50p-£1.
    So parts costs aren't an issue. Find a local TV repair shop and ask for a quote, but specify the work you want done because you might well get back the 'if it ain't broke....' line.
    Cap replacing outside of audiophile land only tends to happen when a device actually fails, or shows obvious signs of a problem.

Labour time the key here.

RobHolt, Nov 19, 2008
Ask a Question