Could this happen to you?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by yogus, Aug 6, 2004.

1. yogus

yogus

Woman banned from owning stereo, TV
    From AFP
    August 04, 2004
    LONDON: A British woman who played music so loud it moved furniture in the flat above was unable to even own a stereo or a television on Tuesday following a landmark court ban.

Sharon McLoughlin, 33, became the first person in Birmingham, central England -- and possibly in Britain -- to face such a ban under new legislation intended to curb anti-social behaviour.

McLoughlin, who is also being evicted from her flat, had been warned several times before officials moved in to confiscate her audio equipment, including a karaoke machine, on three separate occasions.

"Even though environmental health officers had seized equipment from the property, McLoughlin showed absolutely no regard for her neighbours or the law and obtained more equipment," said Ian McGibbon from the Birmingham's Anti-Social Behaviour Unit (BASBU).

On Monday, Judge Alistair MacDuff granted the city council possession of McLoughlin's property within 14 days and prohibited her from owning any electronic music equipment or television while she resides at the flat.

She was also banned from causing harassment, alarm or distress anywhere in England and Wales for two years.

"We are pleased that the courts have dealt with this matter decisively, as this woman has shown complete disregard for previous actions by environmental health officers and BASBU officers who attempted to modify her behaviour," said John Lines, the city council member in charge of housing.

AFP

yogus, Aug 6, 2004
  2. yogus

julian2002 Muper Soderator

She was also banned from causing harassment, alarm or distress anywhere in England and Wales for two years.

so this isn't against the law anyway - right then, where's my ex's phone number....
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Aug 6, 2004
  3. yogus

GrahamN

:yikes:

:shame:

GrahamN, Aug 6, 2004
  4. yogus

GTM Resistance IS Futile !

Good !!!

Gtm

GTM, Aug 6, 2004
  5. yogus

davidcotton prog rocker, proud of it!

So she's going to move to Scotland then is she??

davidcotton, Aug 6, 2004
  6. yogus

Doctor Jeep

I've had some dodgy and inconsiderate neighbours in my time but geez, that woman sounds the pitts. If it'd been a bloke (and he wasn't Mike Tyson) I'd have 'evicted' him myself way before the council came onto the scene.

Doctor Jeep, Aug 6, 2004
Ask a Question