Council house face lift - resd this

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lhatkins, Sep 26, 2004.

1. lhatkins

lhatkins Dazed and Confused

lhatkins, Sep 26, 2004
  2. lhatkins

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

Lee - a brilliant find! I notice 'Penny for the Chav' season has started 'round here too. On my way home from work on Friday, I nipped into the shop near me to pick up a couple of things. Outside I noticed a chav - of around the age of 10, with a sad, flimsy looking 'guy'. Said chav was asking for money. The fake Burberry cap simply certfied the 'chavness' of the individual!

nsherin, Sep 26, 2004
  3. lhatkins

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

4. lhatkins

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

Ian, the chavtowns link was brilliant. The descriptions of Portsmouth and surrounding areas, such as Leigh Park were spot on! :D

nsherin, Sep 26, 2004
  5. lhatkins

johnhunt recidivist

there is somethiong quite unpleasant about this whole chav thing. to me it's a lazy way of righting off milloins of white working class individuals who haven't had the opportunities that have rained down on many of those doing the sniping.

johnhunt, Sep 26, 2004
  6. lhatkins

julian2002 Muper Soderator

john,
    chavdom isn't some sort of dickensien oppression. it's laziness and boredom pure and simple. i have had quite a few dealing with the chavier side of bedford thanks to my ex wife and can say that i'm of a parryesque opinoin on this one. put it this way if they spent as much effort on their future as they do on their wardrobe, fags, beer, bling and beating the crap out of each other then they could lift themselves out of chavdom quite easily.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Sep 26, 2004
  7. lhatkins

I used to live in portsmouth I am ashamed to say, and for those not farmiliar with Leigh Park, just think of your worse council estate (like Burnt house lane, exeter) and then multiply it by 10! riots and all sorts, you wouldn't go through there during the day, let alone at night!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2004
    lhatkins, Sep 26, 2004
  8. lhatkins

And who's fault is it then? These where the sort of idoits who bunked off school and didn't think they needed education and now they are whining about it, tuff you make your own luck in this worldl They where the ones who bullyed people at school and now we get the last laugh, they deserve everything they get!

lhatkins, Sep 26, 2004
  9. lhatkins

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

It is a complicated issue. To be honest it isn't always the scallies fualt it was their up bringing but it is a viciious circle, girl gets pregnant at 14, b/f leaves her at 15, she is left to bring a kid up on her own, she didn't lmow anything about proetection because she never went to school, she was too busy working down her dads gaffer's other front, the local caff earning money so her mother didn't through her out.

It is just culture thing. They need educating, and I am not talking about qualifcations as such, I mean educating on how to behave in society, i.e not saying "do you go to f**king Burnage" to the bus driver or smoking dope down the local park which used to be the local textiles factory.

Of course chavs also have little prospects, the factories their parents worked in have since all closed down, now all the only jobs require somthing called qualifcations, to get these it requires work and displine, somthing these people lack as their parents let them get away with anything as a kid.

Off course dumping them all in council estates next to each other dosn't help . I think companies should be offered more rewards for employing people from poor areas with no qualifcations then they can train them up and hopefully by the time they are 30 they would have left their Nova's behind and their 5.1 Awia Light Studio Semi Quadrophonic Virtual High Frequency enhancement audio system behind.

amazingtrade, Sep 26, 2004
  10. lhatkins

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Being a chav has nothing to do with your upbringing. I know a number of people who had a good upbringing who are still chavas. Having said that, I do agree that more chavas seem to come from council estates, and peer pressure in such areas is going to result in more chavs, but dont kid yourself that they are limited to poor areas. I dont live in a poor area, and there are LOADS of them round here.

PBirkett, Sep 26, 2004
  11. lhatkins

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

There are some near me too but they are in rented houses. However there isn't really many kids in my area now. It would appear there are a lot of chaves when you see them on the street but you soon realise that say in 500 houses those scallies come from about 2-3 of them but they seem take over the place.

Some of them will reform but some of them will go to other way and become petty crinimals.

amazingtrade, Sep 26, 2004
  12. lhatkins

johnhunt recidivist

i think the point is ,regardless of why people fit into this particular brand of consumerist working class, that there is always people like you guys ready to take the piss out of them.

johnhunt, Sep 26, 2004
  13. lhatkins

penance Arrogant Cock

but chavs do need to have the piss taken ;)

penance, Sep 26, 2004
  14. lhatkins

johnhunt recidivist

excepting the comment above this thread makes me vomit. go back to your daily mails and your comfy little lives the lot of you. btw atrade wrote

''Some of them will reform but some of them will go to other way and become petty crinimals''

god help me - what qualifies you to come out with such high handed bullshit.

johnhunt, Sep 26, 2004
  15. lhatkins

julian2002 Muper Soderator

john,
    the problem is that chavs revel in their stereotype. the nova, the burberry, festering belly button piercing - it's like a low rent steely dan song. the thing is that you don't have to be a council estate dweller to be a chav.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Sep 26, 2004
  16. lhatkins

stumblin Kittens getting even...

I love the bit about Taunton on chavtowns. I grew up about 10 miles North of there. If they think Taunton is bad, they should go to Bridgwater. Bridgwater chavs aspire to live in Taunton and move up in the world...

In answer to JohnHunt - I was regularly mocked, humiliated and at times physically beaten by this class of people during my youth. Had I allowed them to, they could probably have ruined my life and turned me into one of them. I grew up in the same neighbourhoods and had less 'breaks' than a lot of them. I am now a succesful 26 year old in charge of global business practices for a large multi-national, working out of California. Don't tell me they couldn't make anything of their life.

So, yes, I will mock them now. Nothing I could do or say could compare to the misery they tried to make my childhood.

stumblin, Sep 26, 2004
  17. lhatkins

johnhunt recidivist

ok you were bullied at school, who wasn't. so your very successful - good for you. does it make you feel good demeaning people not as fortunate

johnhunt, Sep 26, 2004
  18. lhatkins

stumblin Kittens getting even...

The point being that I'm not 'fortunate'. I worked damn hard - nothing has been given to me. These people aren't 'less fortunate' - they are lazy and they have chosen their lifestyle. For me, one of the defining points of a chav is that there are someone that has chosen to not make an effort, and to sponge off the state. Are you saying that we should accept and willingly support these people? If it's socially acceptable to choose to do nothing and allow other's to support us then hell - let's all do it. Something that is inherently wrong should not be allowed to become socially acceptable in the name of political correctness.

Some people do not get breaks, work hard but unfortunately still do not make it. I have every respect for them for trying, and every sympathy for them that they did not make it. Members of my family are included in this group - but they have not given up, they take work when they can, even when it means they are worse off than on state benefits. These are the people I think you are defending, but they are a different group and I most certainly am not refering to them when I say 'chav'.

stumblin, Sep 26, 2004
  19. lhatkins

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

School bullying still seems to rife, just seems to emigrate to hifi forums and BMW owner groups

wadia-miester, Sep 26, 2004
  20. lhatkins

johnhunt recidivist

shall i tell you what I'm defending.

The term Chav is an offensive generalisation. it's lazy. i wonder why this group of people so identified have been singled out for such derision and hatred. is it because the traditional targets of the middle class and paraniod are beyond the pale these days? you'll all be banging on about single mums next

johnhunt, Sep 26, 2004
Ask a Question