courier service

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mr cat, Oct 10, 2005.

1. mr cat

mr cat Member of the month

hi, I've goto post off my MF x-80 tomorrow - ideally from the local post office - is this the way to do it if I want a recorded delivery etc..?
    woiuld this go via parcel force..?

just its the first time I've posted something big...

cheers

mr cat, Oct 10, 2005
  2. mr cat

andybillet

andybillet, Oct 10, 2005
  3. mr cat

T-bone Sanchez

Special delivery tends to be the best, its next day before, insurance, signed-for etc but it aint cheap so you might not have budgeted for it. PO will give you a number of options anyway. Glad youi sold it.

T-bone Sanchez, Oct 10, 2005
  4. mr cat

MartinC Trainee tea boy

I've used Parcelforce 48 a couple of times for this sort of thing, which is available at larger post offices but not all (I was caught out by this recently :mad: ). Check out details/prices here:

http://www.parcelforce.com/portal/pw

MartinC, Oct 10, 2005
  5. mr cat

cheers guys - I check this out this after - just want something quick and easy - as I don't don't much time in the morning before I start work...

I daren't risk sending it from work (due to the size) like I did with my x-act dac... ;)
    even tho its free of charge...

edit - the funny thing is - the guy who bought it from me was the guy who I bought my nad c350 from!! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2005
    mr cat, Oct 10, 2005
  6. mr cat

Sid and Coke

I recently sent a MIG welder via parcel2go, it was the worst courier experience i have ever had. The parcel was supposed to be picked up on the monday , I stayed in all day on the monday ( they tell you between *am and 17:30 pm pick up ) - no show, all day on the tuesday - no show, they finally picked up my parcel on the wed afternoon. I liased with the helpline all the time, however they kept giving me lame excuses and were no help at all. Luckily because i mostly work night shift and 4 on - 4 off i was able to accomodate them, i would have been well pissed off if i'd taken time off work for this though. When the young lad did finally arrive to pick up the parcel he was off-hand with my wife, luckily i was out, he soon changed his F**king tune when i answered the door the next day ! In fact they actually turned up on the next three days to pick up the same parcel ! (Piss-Up and Brewery instantly spring to mind here.......)

My advice, use the Royal Mail, you might have to pay a little extra but its worth it. Also my own personal experience of sending parcels is plan for the un-expected. Make sure your item is well padded insideand that it cannot move around inside the container and that the container is strong enough to withstand rough handling, including being dropped.
    Don't just put one address lavbel on it. Put 2 or 3 including an independant return address label on different sides of your box. I also write at least one address using a marker pen and then put clear packing tape over it, so it can't be rubbed off.
    Any items that i have ever recieved that have been damaged or lost have been due to inadequate packing and addressing ( one guy sent me a Linn Axis TT but forgot to put the address label on !!!). I have sent quite a few delicate items through the post with no problems, including TT's, Cartridges , etc. At work I also often have to send expensive Aircraft parts around the world, some of which have price tags of over $100,000, at this kind of money chances can't be taken...

Sid and Coke, Oct 10, 2005
  7. mr cat

cheers for the advice!!

mr cat, Oct 10, 2005
  8. mr cat

andrew1810

Try www.pharos-international.co.uk

I've sent loads through them without problems (they use UPS)

I've heard lots of bad reports about parcel2go, it depends on your local courier, but I've had missed pick-ups with them myself!

Andrew

andrew1810, Oct 10, 2005
  9. mr cat

GAZZ

I had one guy from Parcal-to-go (DHL) Pick up an amp, he dropped it on the floor twice in front of me, then he dropped it so he could open the van door. When i confronted him he said thats how the parcels get treated. A phone call to head office he was given a written warning and i was given two deliveries for free. Good job i had packed the amp well. I have used parcel-to-go about 20 times, this was the only time i had a problem.

GAZZ, Oct 10, 2005
  10. mr cat

Dick Bowman

After some unpleasant experiences I will never use DHL (or any of their aliases) ever again.

Dick Bowman, Oct 10, 2005
  11. mr cat

hi guys, this has been sorted - used royal mail special delivery, 19 quid but he should have it by tomorrow at 1pm.

cheers

mr cat, Oct 11, 2005
  12. mr cat

Tim F

Royal mail have smashed up at least two parcels of mine. They just chuck things around. My favourite was when I complained about one item and they asked me to send the item back to them, which I paid for (a record deck). They then lost the item I sent them and claimed it never arrived.

Tim F, Oct 11, 2005
Ask a Question