CPT Acoustics

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by kb29r, Jun 22, 2008.

1. kb29r

kb29r

Thinking of getting my Nad S200 modded from CPT Acoustics - has anyone used the guy for mods.

Ken

kb29r, Jun 22, 2008
  2. kb29r

RobHolt Moderator

What's wrong with the S200 and why does it need mods?

It's one of NADs high end amps and they know how to build stuff. It will have been born following much R&D so I'd think twice before sending for bodging by someone who had no input or understanding of the original brief.

RobHolt, Jun 23, 2008
  3. kb29r

kb29r

Thanks for the reply Rob,

I think there may be a problem with the right channel - after warm up the output is muted and there is a crackling noise.

I say 'May' as I do not know whether its the S200 or the pre-out stage of my new AV receiver - I will be able to confirm this by the end of the week with a passive pre amp for direct hook up to the S200

Regarding CPT Acoustics, a guy called Colin has upgraded these before - one that I definately know about had upgraded capacitors throughout, op-amps replaced in the input stage and re-wiring of the inputs with high grade OFC cabling while internal loudspeaker and power cables replaced with Silver / OFC / PTFE cables

Ken

kb29r, Jun 23, 2008
  4. kb29r

RobHolt Moderator

Hi Ken,

If it's faulty and the guys at CPT can repair it for a reasonable charge then go for it. However, in your shoes I'd not let them start replacing caps, wiring or OP amps for several reasons.
    Firstly and most importantly, there is no 'best' cap or op amp only the best choice for that particular circuit. That may turn out to be an expensive high speed modern IC at £10 a throw or it might the the ubiquitous NE5534 at 50p.
    In a premium product such as the NAD S series the designer will usually spec the best part for the job as opposed to the cheapest.
    Same goes for caps.

Wiring is ....... being tactful.... a very personal thing :)
    I think its mostly a load of old fooey.

RobHolt, Jun 23, 2008
  5. kb29r

andyoz

I'm with Rob, if you don't like the sound buy a different amp.

I think the big problem is that when you start modding things, yes I'm sure they will sound "different" but not necessarily better. It's all too subjective really.

Also, try to sell a modded amp and most buyers run for the hills.

andyoz, Jun 23, 2008
  6. kb29r

kb29r

After more tests, it is indeed the S200 at fault. Thankfully the amp is under warranty and will be repaired

The Nad S200 sounds superb and there would have to be something very special to part with it - I know a guy that had his S200 modded and was very pleased with the outcome

Thanks for the comments guys

ken

kb29r, Jun 23, 2008
  7. kb29r

Tenson Moderator

As far as mods go, if it is simply changing a few caps, resistors, diodes and wires then it seems pretty pointless to me.

If the mods are more 'serious' and actually adjust the circuits, power supples etc.. then it is more likely to have an audible effect. You just need to read what is done very carefully and decide if the changes made do indeed seem sensible and agree with your own ethos on system/equipment design.

I think mods can be especially helpful for bringing budget level kit up to top quality, if done right. however, I don't think I would usually modify something that is already reference class kit built to a quality, not a price.

Tenson, Jun 23, 2008
Ask a Question