CRACK-LE......(silence)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by la toilette, Jan 5, 2006.

1. la toilette

la toilette Downright stupid

My quad-spot halogen jobby I installed in my kitchen eats lightbulbs - those little GU10 beggars. I think in the year or so I've had the light fitting I've changed about a dozen bulbs, no exaggeration (mind you I did buy the fitting from Lidl :eek: ). Having said that, I'm sure that I have heard of a fuse you can insert somewhere in the circuit to stop them blowing so regularly...

la toilette, Jan 5, 2006
  2. la toilette

Tenson Moderator

Funny, I was in Lidl just yesterday and nearly got one of those! I went to B&Q across the road and got one for £10 (same price as Lidl) but with 4 bulbs as well. They do run surprisingly hot, I thought I might change them for lower power ones.

I guess only time will tell if it eats bulbs!

Tenson, Jan 5, 2006
  3. la toilette

Tom

Rearrange the following words! Words Mouth Out Of Took The You!

Tom, Jan 6, 2006
  4. la toilette

Tenson Moderator

You took the words out of mouth? :rds2:

Tenson, Jan 6, 2006
  5. la toilette

aquapiranha

Thanks for that.. I have just today finally got round to fitting one of these in the lounge, looks like I am going to need to stock up - then again I was gonna put a dimmer on it coz 4 of em are too bright, maybe that will help...?

aquapiranha, Jan 6, 2006
  6. la toilette

la toilette Downright stupid

Maybe a dimmer will help, I don't know. Maybe I just got unlucky with the fitting?

Either way, just in case yours starts destroying bulbs for sport, you can buy GU10's much cheaper on the web (ebay) than the shops, especially if you buy in bulk (and you may need to ;) ). I did find Poundland selling them £1 a pair, but these lasted even less time than the ones I bought elsewhere.

la toilette, Jan 6, 2006
  7. la toilette

Nomoretweaks Tourist on tilt

It depends on the quality of the wiring, switches, contacts, voltage, humidity and god knows what else. I used to live in another country where I NEVER ever changed light bulbs. They all worked for years, and I mean MANY years without a single light bulbe changed.

same here

Nomoretweaks, Jan 6, 2006
Ask a Question