crazy idea?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by themadhippy, Sep 1, 2005.

1. themadhippy

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

The hippy is in a rut and is seriously considering selling EVERYTHING (apart frrom the vinyl) and buggering off to see the world, ive estimated i would have around £3500 left after ive cleared all outstanding debts,and got everything i need to head of into the sun.whilst not a huge amount, im sure i could have a dam good time.i also have 2 pensions, could or should i cash these in to raise more funds?
    However theres a few nagging doubts,like what do i do once (if i do) i return to the uk ? is nearly 40 to old to start thinking like this? How easy is it to find work abroad? any one wanna buy some furniture?

themadhippy, Sep 1, 2005
  2. themadhippy

lordsummit moderate mod

Don't do the pensions. You'll need them one day.

lordsummit, Sep 1, 2005
  3. themadhippy

lhatkins Dazed and Confused

Does your employer operate a 'subatical' system, I know ours does, if you have so many years service you can take up to a 5 year break and they then find you a postion when you return? If they do this could solve ya problem.

I have a collegue at work how is actually planning to do this, selling up and going around the world, ok he's a lot younger, (25) lucky barsteward.

If you can do it mate, go for it, I guess it will need some planning, not sure what would be involved but I guess that's the fun of it.

You know you want to, I mean when life gets like, "same $h1t, different day" you know its time to move on.

lhatkins, Sep 1, 2005
  4. themadhippy

they do,however 1) its at your managers descretion, and as were 4 people down in our department already even trying to get him to agree holiday is a battle 2) the length of sabatical is related to the length of employment and less than 2 years dont give you much

themadhippy, Sep 2, 2005
  5. themadhippy

Arr right ya fair point, you have to be in employment at our place for 5 years + to be eligable for it also, heck I thought you'd been at your current job longer than that.

lhatkins, Sep 2, 2005
  6. themadhippy

you got me thiinking now, going to give personnel a call tommorow,see if my previos employment with another local authority will count towards it,after all it did with my salary and holiday entitlement

themadhippy, Sep 2, 2005
  7. themadhippy

julian2002 Muper Soderator

hippy,
    a grand(ish) will get you a multi stop round the world ticket valid for a year (or more - not looked at them for a while tho) and 2.5k will go a long way in places like south america and asia. you'd probably be able to find temporary / casual work to top your funds up as you go too.
    as for being 40 - well the way things are going we'll still be working when we're 75 anyway so better to have fun now when you can than wait for a golden age of retirement that probably won;t happen. i wouldn;t cash in your pensions tho' just in case.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Sep 2, 2005
  8. themadhippy

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Do you own a home you could rent?

My wifes parents gave up work three years ago to tour the world scuba diving. They come back got jobs and resumed life, they said they would do it again in an instant.

garyi, Sep 2, 2005
  9. themadhippy

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I would do it, at 40 you can still do it if you're healthy and active, I have a great aunty who is still doing this at 83, and I am not kidding although she is loaded so stays in all the posh hotels etc.

Its one of the things you have to do while you can though, there is no point being 60 and less active and suddently saying I wish I did this and that.

amazingtrade, Sep 2, 2005
  10. themadhippy

mr cat Member of the month

hey, I've just finished with my lass - whats her number..? :D :D

mr cat, Sep 2, 2005
  11. themadhippy

Gari unfortunatley i rent my house

Mr cat hands of shes mine. :D

Well ive set the wheels in motion,ive just applied for a job in finland as "santas roadie" if i get it ive less than 2 months to get my arse in gear.

My intail plans are fly from uk to bejing,then train to Thailand via Guangzhou ,vietman and cambodia that should take care of a few months,then decide were to next.

themadhippy, Sep 2, 2005
  12. themadhippy

mr cat Member of the month

thats great...! wish I could do that, well, I could, but not willing to take the risk...

well, in fact, I was going to move to northern ireland - only up until a few days ago...I've had a fall out with my lass who lives there...stuff her, thats what I say! sigh...

mr cat, Sep 2, 2005
  13. themadhippy

julian2002 Muper Soderator

hippy,
    if you're in koh phangan for february's full moon party i'll see you there.....
    cheers

julian.

julian2002, Sep 2, 2005
  14. themadhippy

You should be able to mate, you take your pension as well with you if you stay with local authority so as long as its 5 years + of continous service you should be entitled to it, if you belong to a Union ask them for advice too.

Good luck with the Finland Job.

lhatkins, Sep 2, 2005
  15. themadhippy

robs

Keep the pensions.
    As I say to anyone who is contemplating going for an adventure - go for it!
    £3.5K will see you a long way in the right places (India, SE Asia etc). If you can work along the way (must be a worldwide demand for (IIRC) roadies/PA gear etc) you're laughing....between Goa & KP (& santa's grotto....?) you'll be out there for years.....
    Oh, & to keep things in perspective...Keep the pensions.
    I'm heading rapidly toward 40, but in all have spent about 4 years bumming abroad so far (should I rephrase that?). Now married with 2 kids, so will be a while before the next adventure... (well... a couple of months before we get the Oz visa with any luck).
    Keep the pensions.
    Did I say ...keep the pensions.

robs, Sep 2, 2005
  16. themadhippy

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Lucky sods! That's in my 3-year plan, mind you. Next summer'll be Oz all being well, and then...

Good luck Les - keep in touch dude :)

domfjbrown, Sep 5, 2005
Ask a Question