Creek 4040 / 4140 comparable to Rotel RA-01?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by PBirkett, Mar 9, 2005.

1. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Long time no speak.... :)

As you all know I have a Rotel RA-01 amplifier, which I am happy with sound quality wise, but I notice that there are a couple of Creek amps on ebay, one is a 4040, and the other (which is near me) is a 4140. It looks as if they will go quite cheaply.

How would that amp compare to the Rotel? I am curious about some old kit, this being an example and if I can make a few quid with the sale of my Rotel and buy a Creek and have just as good sound quality then I would be happy to do it

It'll be partnered with Rega Ela's.

PBirkett, Mar 9, 2005
  2. PBirkett

lordsummit moderate mod

The 4040 is a lovely sweet sounding amp, that is very natural. It isn't massively loud. I replaced it with soom Quad 33/303's that tbh I didn't like as much. They are worth every penny of the £40 or so that they fetch on ebay. Buy one give it a go, and if you don't like it you won't lose much on it. You will need din to phono plugs, but you can buy those pretty cheap from Maplins. I think the earliest ones are the best, as he made those as a project, they were quite classy, the later they are the more they cut costs for producing larger numbers. I'm not sure it's better, but it's certainly different, and probably comparable. I was gutted when mine broke.

You could also think about the MF A1, the aforementioned Quad's 33/303 they respond very well to tweaking. You sometimes see fantastically buttoned 70's Japanese esoterica on Ebay, they'd fit into your plan as well. Look for Sansui and Pioneer

lordsummit, Mar 9, 2005
Ask a Question