Crown K2 for Subs

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by BSmith, Jun 24, 2011.

1. BSmith

BSmith

Hi there,

I resonantly bought a Crown K2 from Dev, here on AudioSmile. Hi was very helpful arranging shipment to Denmark and all. It arrived safe and sound in a couple of days.

Wow! This amp is rock solid, it produces tuneful, tight, deep, super controlled bas on my EV Cinema subwoofers, this is literally physical, with tremendous power and dynamics :cool:

It took some time experimenting with the bas traps, to get the most flat response in the low end. Fortunately there is more than enough power in this baby, to just crank it a little higher, every time the bas peaks were absorbed.

Its a big mistake to underestimate the reproducing of the firs octaves. The ground notes and fundamental information, of the rendered material, is of great important to the total impression.

With my main speakers, being AetherAudio Revelation MRI MKIII, the demands to linearity, dynamics and homogeneity are significant.

I haven been quite lucky in integrating the subs in my system. I like monitor sound, accurate, clear, dynamic, homogenous and natural sound. My music library contains a very broad collection of music, from Ravel to Ramstein, all must be reproduced as close to the recording as possible.

Why two 2 x 18" cinema subs in a living room? My room is quite bass hungry and to get the right linearity and slam in the low end, enough to follow the very dynamic Revelations in the rest of the spectrum, I just need allot of headroom to keep it uncompressed, especially at higher volumes.

According to the equal loudness curve, our ears and brain, need increasing energy level, the higher the general sound pressure and the lower the reproduced frequencies. To that, add the 15 - 18 dB peaks on well recorded audio signals, then its no surprise that small bas drivers sometimes live a tough life, when cranking the system.

Not that the Revelations normally lacks in bass reproducing at all, but my room must be swallowing a lot of energy in the low end.

This amp is more than impressive in the low end and a barging compared to many high prized Hi-Fi amps. There is a little problem though, after four seconds without signal it goes in std.by mode. Annoying when playing classical music :-(

I know there is a simple cure for this problem, just a jumper between two pins, ore increasing the value of one resistor. I will contact Crown to get a description on the last operation.

I hope you will excuse me if there is any languish or grammar hiccups. :D

BSmith, Jun 24, 2011
  2. BSmith

Dev Moderator

Hi Brian,

I'm so glad you are enjoying the amp.

I don't recall ever having an issue with the amp going dead after 4 seconds without signal but then I didn't use it much, apart from demoing it to Rob:). I can't remember if I emailed you the manual or not. If not, just let me know and I'll email it.

Dev, Jun 24, 2011
  3. BSmith

RobHolt Moderator

Glad you are enjoying the Crown.
    I heard it at Dev's a few times and while it wouldn't be my choice for a full range amp, it is superb for bass as you've found. It seems to like being driven hard.

Once you get the 4 second mute solution, please post it as it might benefit others.

Cheers,

RobHolt, Jun 24, 2011
  4. BSmith

Smithy

Never had issues with my K2 going into standby,awesome amp and no fan noise to contend with unlike some of the other pro options.

Smithy, Jun 28, 2011
  5. BSmith

BSmith

Hi

It seems that Crown no longer wants to provide private persons with information on the subject. I have not tried for my self though.

I would like to go fore the modif with the increased resistor value, but there is nothing to be found on that subject. I will contact Crown to se if they are willing to share?

This is what I was able to find regarding disabling the TLC circuit.

http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10402

http://www.electrical.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36100&p=896993

Regards,
    Brian

BSmith, Jul 9, 2011
Ask a Question