Customs Duty on imported hifi

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by FreddytheEagle, Jan 26, 2008.

1. FreddytheEagle

FreddytheEagle

Does anyone know how much I would have to pay (to our beloved gov't) in addition to VAT for importing an amp from the states? Is it a flat rate for all electrical goods, or are things sub-categorised with different rates?

FreddytheEagle, Jan 26, 2008
  2. FreddytheEagle

DavidF

The latter I think though I can't really remember now.

I imported a dac fromthe states (NEVER again mind ....:(:() which cost £100; got hit for a bill of £30 import duty.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2008
    DavidF, Jan 26, 2008
  3. FreddytheEagle

Neil

If the seller marks as "gift", or as some chinese vendors do :) "underestimate" the price on the paperwork / mark as "Sample" things are much easier eg 700GBP cost on GBP45 invoice has been rumoured. Although I would not condone such malarky I am assured it's commonplace.

Neil, Jan 26, 2008
  4. FreddytheEagle

Tenson Moderator

I think the tax is usually not too bad, maybe 4%. I usually get hit with £10 handling fee + 17.5% for vat. I haven't always been taxed as well.

Tenson, Jan 26, 2008
  5. FreddytheEagle

MontyW

Tax is 4% on top of VAT @ 17.5%.

Beware of under valuing goods especially if they damaged by the carrier as you will only be able to claim the value of the goods as stated on the invoice.

MontyW, Jan 26, 2008
  6. FreddytheEagle

Mister_Tad coffee bunnee

I got nailed on import tax recently from the states (£47 on a £50 item). Upon phoning them to find out how the hell that worked, I was advised that the charges had gone up recently due to the exchange rate at the moment, trying to deter people from taking advantage. I believe they mentioned that the import tax was 10% on top of VAT.

They also said that the VAT and duty was on the item + the shipping charge, and because the shipping charge wasn't listed they assumed it was around £20 (it was nowhere near that)

Then of course the £10+ administration fee.

I would prepare for 35%, and then be pleasantly surprised if its less. I've had my folks who live in the states send "gifts" over a few times and I've never been charged, but it may be a lot less plausible if it was coming from a shop.

Mister_Tad, Jan 26, 2008
  7. FreddytheEagle

FreddytheEagle

Thanks for the info all.

Sounds a bit of a minefield really. Just had a trip through the hmrc website. Talk about confusing. :confused: Nowhere can I find a specific reference to customs duty on an 'amp' (as that's what i'm looking at), cd players - yes, Dvd players - yes, clothing - yes. But all with different rates, some up to 14%, some nothing. For the lamen (like me) there seems to be no rime or reason to it. The amp I want is $4,500 + $129 shipping/insurance so I kind of want to know up front what extra costs will be incurred on our shores.

FreddytheEagle, Jan 26, 2008
  8. FreddytheEagle

Tenson Moderator

Call HMRC, their people know their stuff usually.

If you list it as an amp for scientific test equipment it should be less than for luxury goods.

Tenson, Jan 26, 2008
  9. FreddytheEagle

esk

Ouch!

I bought an amp for around $2000 last year. Paid £211 on duties/tax/handling...

esk, Jan 26, 2008
  10. FreddytheEagle

Dr Rock

£25 paid on a stated $100 value for a $1300 watch 3 years ago...

Dr Rock, Jan 26, 2008
  11. FreddytheEagle

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

I'm an expat that imports a lot to Norway, so I'm familiar with the calculation these authorities make. The order makes a difference. The order of calculation is:
    Add duty cost to item cost if liable
    Add on cost of shipping
    Add on VAT on total sum above
    Add on admin fee.

Note, in words, that you pay VAT on landed cost after duty, and pay VAT on shipping.

If you can substitute in appropriate figures you can find out what it will cost you. There is a triggering threshold for liability and for gift value. Currently in your money I believe this is about £18 and £36. YOu can't just ship in anything you want without paying charges so long as someone says it is a gift: you pay the charges if it is over the threshold even if it is coming from mother teresa. The exceptions are just lucky admin oversights, not rights. The odds of such an event happening probably rise if it is a small package from a private buyer, like a cartrisge, one might speculate.

SteveC, Jan 27, 2008
  12. FreddytheEagle

rollo

Is there a tax on used goods ? If I can help in any way email me. Can't believe your tax is so high.
    How about I open the box look inside, rebox and send to you. Would that help?

rollo

rollo, Jan 27, 2008
  13. FreddytheEagle

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

if the amp+ shipping is $4629 then you can expect to pay VAT on all of that and then an extra 5% duty, with handling fees you will be paying near $6000

sq225917, Jan 27, 2008
  14. FreddytheEagle

Not quite right, sq: the duty is added first (and the shipping) then the VAT is calculated on the sum - if you read what I posted before you will see that was what I tried to make clear. It makes a difference.

SteveC, Jan 27, 2008
  15. FreddytheEagle

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

so he's not going to end up paying around $6000?

sq225917, Jan 27, 2008
  16. FreddytheEagle

Sure. It's nice to get the facts right when you aim to tell people how it is.

Freddy - it appears from http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds/cgi-bin/tarchap?Lang=EN with product code for an audio amplifier 8518 40 00 that there is zero duty from the States and that you pay just the VAT on the declared value and services, i.e., cost of the amp as stated on the CN22 shipping sticker or receipt and the shipping cost. If your shipper does the paperwork for you, and they choose a different code, I'd ask them to justify that choice.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2008
    SteveC, Jan 28, 2008
  17. FreddytheEagle

lbr monkey boy

But TARIC code 8518 40 89 90 (which IMHO the amplifier would fall under) is subject to 4.5% from the USA.

lbr, Jan 28, 2008
  18. FreddytheEagle

SteveC, Jan 28, 2008
  19. FreddytheEagle

Class A

4.5% Duty on top of commercial invoice including cost of shipping then the dreaded 17.5% VAT on top of everything and the admin fee. This applies to speakers Taric code: 8518220090 and Amplifiers: 8518408190.

Class A, Jan 28, 2008
  20. FreddytheEagle

rollo

Trying to do you gents a big favor and no one responds. Wow! Pay the Tax then.

rollo

rollo, Jan 30, 2008
Ask a Question