Cyrus CD8

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amir, Apr 23, 2004.

1. amir

amir

did you listened to it?
    is it better than NAD S500 or Creek CD50 or marantz CD 17KI?

amir, Apr 23, 2004
  2. amir

Bubblechild

I've listened to it, but not compared it to any of the players you mention, so not sure how much this will help you, but...

I thought the CD8 was an extremely competent machine - perhaps a little short on any one defining characteristic, but lively and a good all-round listen. I liked the display, but found the buttons somewhat badly positioned and the drawer flimsy - shouldn't matter I guess, but mildly annoying when one's paying £1K for a CDP.

Adding the PSX (or whatever that off-board power supply is called) seemed to widen the soundstage and separation, and perhaps give better detail retreival, but to my ears it lost some of the coherence and musicality of the original sound. Could be because the PSX needs more than the 30 mins I gave it to warm up - not sure.

I'd put the CD8 on an audition list, but for me there are other players in a comparable price range that are better - the Arcam FMJ-33 for example, or one of the Copland or Sugden machines.

At the end of that particular audition I walked out with a second-hand Naim CDX. For me, it was streets ahead in terms of sheer soul. And built a tank.

Each to his own, I guess.

Bubblechild, Apr 23, 2004
  3. amir

Lt Cdr Data om

I found the marantz more boring than listening to Martin o' Neill. :SLEEP:

Lt Cdr Data, Apr 23, 2004
  4. amir

greg Its a G thing

Surely not as boring as listening to Kenny Dalglish though? Surely not?

greg, Apr 23, 2004
Ask a Question